Outside play area

Status
Not open for further replies.

bda1234

5 Year Member
What should I put out there for my tortoise to play with when I play with her. She will still live indoors though.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
They don't really play. They bask and eat. Having plenty of different plants and weeds for your tort to explore and eat will make it happy.

They do like climbing too... so some stuff to climb up and down (probably face-planting but they enjoy it) will also provide activity.

bda1234

5 Year Member
Mine does because I got her from a special place where they socialize them with people

bda1234

5 Year Member
What do i plant

I don't know what to plant outside for a play area it is full sun

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi bda1234:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your new tortoise might be socialized, but Joe's mum is still correct...tortoises don't play. You might see a male tortoise pushing a ball around, but its probably not "playing," more than likely its a domination thing or a trying-to-get-rid-of-the-intruder thing.

The nicest thing you can do for your tortoise is to make him a large, safe outdoor habitat with plenty of enrichment ideas...hills to climb, rocks to walk around, hiding places, etc.

Since Russian tortoises or steppe tortoises eat broad-leaf weeds and plants, you can plant dandelions, clover, dichondra, mallow, sow thistle, etc.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

bda1234

5 Year Member
And she is not new I have had her for almost 4 years now

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is it a secure area? fenced off? plant some edibles, make a rocky area, dirt area, grassy, and give them a choice.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
I live in Florida, and I want to build my little guy a play area too. I was wondering about the humidity down here, It is very high! Is it safe to let them outside because it is very humid.

Status
Not open for further replies.