Outside heat enclosure

Donutsgranny

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I also have the strips in the door way for my Scooters home. I do shut the door every night but they are open once the sun is shining. I got an acurite thermostat now so i can see the temps inside my house. It reaches 330ft so the sensor is in his home and the thermostat is in my home so i can see the temps at all times. This relived so much stress for me and it was only $26 at Lowe's. The mat i see everyone uses but I'm trying the oilfill heater first to see how that works. Scooter gets in his corner and scratches sometimes so I'm afraid of the mat honestly. Idk if he would or could damage it by doing that. I don't know much about these mats. I've heard of people screwing them down to the floor but do you cover it with anything or do they just lay on the actual mat? What kind of mat do you have?Thank you for commenting, I love to get other inputs. Also which heater do you use?
That is the reptile mat I use.
I use a mini oil filled radiator from amazon. I'll will likely add a 2nd for those unusually cold nights.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Thank you for responding! I am going to get a 2nd oil filled heater as well but i have to get a different thermostat because the one I have only switches back n forth between heat sources it doesn't allow both to run at the same time

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I've never heard of those, so I looked them up. The website doesn't say what it is or what is inside that tube. Looks cool, but I have no experience with them. Maybe I can find something on them on YT...
Thank you! I'm j just curious about them and they have a safety cover you can put around it to. I don't think they get very hot on the outside but they still have a safety cover. They do look cool

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Thank you! I'm j just curious about them and they have a safety cover you can put around it to. I don't think they get very hot on the outside but they still have a safety cover. They do look cool
They look as though they would work really well and they seem slim enough to mount high to avoid tort ramming speed. So far I've only found them from UK for 240V. They are mentioned for tortoises on a UK site, Tortoise Protection Group. I currently use an oil-filled heater but now really hoping I can find a US version. Thanks

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
You can also use chicken brooder panels for heat. They are pretty similar to the radiant heat panels made for reptiles. You can get them locally from tractor supply.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Tom I'm really sorry to bother you again. Can you please tell me where you get your RHP from.. I ordered the mini oil filled heater and it still hasn't arrived and home home Depot is out of stock along with many other places. Amazon has it but Amazon doesn't accept my paypal credit line they only accept a PayPal credit card. I use the credit line and pay it off right away but being disabled and on a fix income I like to use the credit line just in case I have an emergency to fix something or whatever. I get 6 months zero interest so I know I can make a minimum payment and not be charged interest if something should happen and I can't pay it all off at once. So I'm going to buy the Kane mat and get the RHP right now since the heater hasn't arrived yet. I just need to know where to get the RHP at.
Thank you again for your input. I appreciate you!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
They look as though they would work really well and they seem slim enough to mount high to avoid tort ramming speed. So far I've only found them from UK for 240V. They are mentioned for tortoises on a UK site, Tortoise Protection Group. I currently use an oil-filled heater but now really hoping I can find a US version. Thanks
I really like their size and it does seem like it would work good. If you do find a USA version PLEASE let me know and where you got it at. Thank you so much!!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
You can also use chicken brooder panels for heat. They are pretty similar to the radiant heat panels made for reptiles. You can get them locally from tractor supply.
They attach to the wall? How low g do I put it and would it burn my Scooter? Do they have a thermostat? Sorry Idk anything about them and Since my oil filled heater isn't here yet I can cancel my order and buy those. I just need guidance as to how many I would need and info about where to place it. I have a new thermostat coming Saturday( it already shipped) I got another one because the one i have only alternates heat source. I can't have 2 heat sources running at the same time on the thermostat I have.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I just looked them up and I have another question. Can they also be used for my first tort to be under it? For ex: if i have a kane mat for him to be on and have one of these chicken brood heaters mounted as a RHP so it's above my tort when he's on his mat AND put another one attached to the wall? Again how far down tho on the wall.

Thank you, I apologize in advance for so many questions

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Chicken brooder panels have low surface temperatures and safe to use above the tortoise, they don't burn chicks and so don't burn shell. As is with reptile RHP, chicken brooder panels should not be too high over the tortoise (no more than 10-15 inches, I guess), to be effective and works better when mounted above, not on the wall.

Placing second panel to the wall doesn't make much sense to me. Mat and RHP to warm from above and below should be enough. Oil-filled radiator is a second line of defence and backup.

You need to put RHP + Kane mat on one thermostat (use a power strip for that), so they turn on and off at the same time.

And don't worry about asking questions - that's the purpose of this forum, anyway

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Chicken brooder panels have low surface temperatures and safe to use above the tortoise, they don't burn chicks and so don't burn shell. As is with reptile RHP, chicken brooder panels should not be too high over the tortoise (no more than 10-15 inches, I guess), to be effective and works better when mounted above, not on the wall.

Placing second panel to the wall doesn't make much sense to me. Mat and RHP to warm from above and below should be enough. Oil-filled radiator is a second line of defence and backup.

You need to put RHP + Kane mat on one thermostat (use a power strip for that), so they turn on and off at the same time.

And don't worry about asking questions - that's the purpose of this forum, anyway
Thank you so much! So I'm in Florida and right now in Tampa Bay area it's gone down to 38 degrees. We have these cold fronts for a few days and then it warms up. So are you saying just that mat I just purchased tonight and a chicken brooder above my tortoise will be enough even tho the whole enclosure every where else will be freezing cold? That's why I got the oil filled radiator ordered because I thought the whole enclosure needs to be somewhat warm and not freezing temps. Also the 200 watt chicken brooder will be ok? Can you tell me if I hook both heat sources up to the new zilla thermostat what temps I use. I'll put both sources in the thermostat plug and then plug the thermostat into the 6 way I have inside the enclosure. I hope that's correct. Idk if the thermostat will ask for individual temps for each heat source or just one for both. Its been shipped and I'm waiting to get it still

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The point of a night box is to provide sweet spot for tortoise to restore its core temperature - he should be able to get in his house in a cold weather and warm up to 80F inside deep. Of course, his "parking lot" should be large enough for him to fit. Oil radiator can be a backup heat source (e.g. if thermostat for panel and Kane mat dies). If it's required or not depends on night house size, outer temperatures and insulation - of course if night house temperatures drop to mid 20F it's no good.

About brooder panel wattage - I can't tell unfortunately, I have seen only smaller ones so far.

About thermostat connection - it looks correct so far. Depending on thermostat model it may have to heat outputs and individual temperature settings or a single one. Or, it might have heating output and cooling output. With either option it's easier to hook panel and mat via 2-way. However, you need check, that thermostat rated wattage is higher than sum of wattages of the panel and Kane mat. Tom sets thermostat for 80F normally and increases temperature to 86F on especially cold weather.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl

Thank you so much! So I'm in Florida and right now in Tampa Bay area it's gone down to 38 degrees. We have these cold fronts for a few days and then it warms up. So are you saying just that mat I just purchased tonight and a chicken brooder above my tortoise will be enough even tho the whole enclosure every where else will be freezing cold? That's why I got the oil filled radiator ordered because I thought the whole enclosure needs to be somewhat warm and not freezing temps. Also the 200 watt chicken brooder will be ok? Can you tell me if I hook both heat sources up to the new zilla thermostat what temps I use. I'll put both sources in the thermostat plug and then plug the thermostat into the 6 way I have inside the enclosure. I hope that's correct. Idk if the thermostat will ask for individual temps for each heat source or just one for both. Its been shipped and I'm waiting to get it still

House is much bigger than just a night box but I've made an area for him so a kane mat and a RHP can be used. I'm worried about heating the rest of the home so the ambient temp isn't freezing. The home is fully insulated but at temps in the 30s it will get cold in the enclosure. So if these oil filled heaters won't warm it and keep it warm idk what to do accept buy a bigger CHE BULB and I don't want to use a CHE honestly

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
House is much bigger than just a night box but I've made an area for him so a kane mat and a RHP can be used. I'm worried about heating the rest of the home so the ambient temp isn't freezing. The home is fully insulated but at temps in the 30s it will get cold in the enclosure. So if these oil filled heaters won't warm it and keep it warm idk what to do accept buy a bigger CHE BULB and I don't want to use a CHE honestly
Definitely, don't get a CHE. It would be only 150-200 watt of heat and a potential shell burning hazard. 600 watt oil-filled radiator should be more than enough (if it is not - you will need a better insulation).

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-and-coop-heater

These are similar to the brooders that I use. Tractor supply changed the manufacturer of the product early last year. The photos on their website now are actually a mixture of the new product and the old product. I haven't used the new style yet but I have 11 of the older ones running now.

I run them a BN link thermostat from Amazon. For larger tortoises I hang the panel from the ceiling of the enclosure or house then hang the probe for the thermostat under the panel and slightly above the height of the tortoise. Most of the year I keep them on the low power mode but on nights when we get down below 50 I switch them over to high power.

I will look for some photos of them installed.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-and-coop-heater

These are similar to the brooders that I use. Tractor supply changed the manufacturer of the product early last year. The photos on their website now are actually a mixture of the new product and the old product. I haven't used the new style yet but I have 11 of the older ones running now.

I run them a BN link thermostat from Amazon. For larger tortoises I hang the panel from the ceiling of the enclosure or house then hang the probe for the thermostat under the panel and slightly above the height of the tortoise. Most of the year I keep them on the low power mode but on nights when we get down below 50 I switch them over to high power.

I saw the night box that Tom builds and he uses the mat and the RHP but it does not say where he got the RHP. I did purchase the thermostat that Tom suggests and it does have a way to run dual heat sources at the same time.. The one I have now can have dual heat but they switch between each other instead of running at the same time.. It's more for a day time heat and night time heat... I know I will have the panel and mat hooked to the thermostat but at what degree do I set them at on my thermostat? I have NO IDEA what is the BEST temp for the mat or panel.. I don't want to burn my tort... I wish I knew what RHP Tom is using in his night boxes.. I will absolutely look at the link you sent me.. Thank you again for your help and time you are giving me.. I appreciate it so much!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl

Would this Panel you sent me a photo of ok to hang with chains above my tort OR do I need to mount it above him..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I saw the night box that Tom builds and he uses the mat and the RHP but it does not say where he got the RHP. I did purchase the thermostat that Tom suggests and it does have a way to run dual heat sources at the same time.. The one I have now can have dual heat but they switch between each other instead of running at the same time.. It's more for a day time heat and night time heat... I know I will have the panel and mat hooked to the thermostat but at what degree do I set them at on my thermostat? I have NO IDEA what is the BEST temp for the mat or panel.. I don't want to burn my tort... I wish I knew what RHP Tom is using in his night boxes.. I will absolutely look at the link you sent me.. Thank you again for your help and time you are giving me.. I appreciate it so much!
Hey Mikki! You can ask me anytime you want. I just happened to see your post here.

I use the Vivarium Electronics RHPs and I used to get them from Reptile Basics, but I got my last few from Kapidolo Farms. The Sweeter Heaters sold by Kapidolo Farms are good for outdoor boxes too.

One thermostat should run both the Kane mat and the RHP at the same time. In Spring and Fall when the days are warm and sunny, I set the thermostat to 80. In winter when the days are sometimes colder, I set it to 86. In summer we are around 100 every day, so I encourage sulcatas to burrow. You might not need to do that where you are if you have good shade in the enclosure.

What species of tortoise are we talking about? How big is the area you are trying to heat?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I see that Tom already answered your question. You can probably run both devices on one thermostat but since they are so cheap, just buy one for each device. That will give you another level of safety in the house.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Hey Mikki! You can ask me anytime you want. I just happened to see your post here.

I use the Vivarium Electronics RHPs and I used to get them from Reptile Basics, but I got my last few from Kapidolo Farms. The Sweeter Heaters sold by Kapidolo Farms are good for outdoor boxes too.

One thermostat should run both the Kane mat and the RHP at the same time. In Spring and Fall when the days are warm and sunny, I set the thermostat to 80. In winter when the days are sometimes colder, I set it to 86. In summer we are around 100 every day, so I encourage sulcatas to burrow. You might not need to do that where you are if you have good shade in the enclosure.

What species of tortoise are we talking about? How big is the area you are trying to heat?
Hi Tom,
My tort is about 35 lbs now. The enclosure is 4x4, however I set up an area in his corner that he likes for the mat & for a RHP to either hang OR mount it under the wooden roof that is obviously now mounted to the wall so he has a ceiling over the corner area, the mat in the corner and now I am wanting to get the RHP for for the top heat. I know it got down to 38 degrees last night and the 700 watt mini oil filled heater probably is not going to keep the whole enclosure at a comfortable ambient heat. I know he will be warm in his corner, but as far as the rest of the enclosure should he want to move off the mat, I do not know what to use to give a nice ambient heat for him.