Outside Enclosure for Hingebacks

Jovski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
I have hingeback tortoises and at the minute no outdoor enclosure for nice days. We had no yard last summer so she got supervised time in the front street or park. I've moved and we have a small yard, in an area that is slightly nicer and a tad safer :) I live on the Lancashire coast so its gale-force winds and rain 90% of the time - its unusual for temperatures to go about 20c / 66f in the summer except in heat waves. I'd like to start on an outdoor enclosure to take advantage of any rare sunny weather. Does anyone have an outdoor enclosure for hingebacks (or redfoots since they're similar) and would be willing to share any tips? How do you keep the humidity right for them outside and are they better in full sun or in partial shade? Are there any particular plants that do better in them since she is a small bulldozer and will either trample or eat anything in her path! :) Also, i have two babies that will be coming up to a year by summer but still likely to be very small for their age - how would you go about not loosing them! :)
This is Phoebe (Aka Mama Phubs), the lucky lady getting a new enclosure. She's estimated to be about 30+ :)
SAM_4365.JPG

And two of her babies :) Button left and Norma right.
DSCN4082.JPG

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I do not know a lot about this type of tortoise, but it sounds like humidity won't be a problem with all the rain. And it seems like the enclosure should have a lot of sunshine since the temps don't get too high. And you can make a little enclosure with a tote for the little ones,.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I face similar challenges in foggy San Francisco... Did you see how Chris at Garden State Tortoises made a mini-cold frame into a tortoise shelter? I'm trying to find a picture for you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your going to want a mix of sun and shade, not perhaps as much as shade as some of these have. You will want to plant heavy (these are all early year or new plants, so they are not lush and thick as they should be). Hingebacks are great climbers (more so the erosa and homes, but you will need to make an inner lip on whatever you use, so they can not climb out. They will climb bushes and slanted trees, so be aware of that too. Water is very important for them, so be sure you have either a water dish deep enough for soaking or a stream for them to use. Keep their soil moisten every so often to encourage natural foods like worms and snails. Have leaf litter or mulch for them to go under, but also for the bugs.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Wow, those are great enclosures Jacqui!

Do you loose the torts sometimes?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Your going to want a mix of sun and shade, not perhaps as much as shade as some of these have. You will want to plant heavy (these are all early year or new plants, so they are not lush and thick as they should be). Hingebacks are great climbers (more so the erosa and homes, but you will need to make an inner lip on whatever you use, so they can not climb out. They will climb bushes and slanted trees, so be aware of that too. Water is very important for them, so be sure you have either a water dish deep enough for soaking or a stream for them to use. Keep their soil moisten every so often to encourage natural foods like worms and snails. Have leaf litter or mulch for them to go under, but also for the bugs.
What gorgeous enclosures you have for your tortoises!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nope, not in these enclosures. I use the wire because I then bury it into the ground like 6" so I never have to worry about uneven ground making an opening for the tortoise. Then at the top, I bend the wire about 6" over in towards the center of the enclosure, so no climbing out. The opening in the wire also mean I never have to worry about a heavy rain or a flood drowning them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you loose the torts sometimes?

I should admit, in some of my larger enclosures which I have for the bigger tortoises, I have ummmm *blushes* "misplaced" a tortoise for a day. Seems most often it's a redfoot or a sulcata that becomes invisible. lol

katfinlou

5 Year Member
So very impressive!!! What fantastic enclosures, and what lucky tortoises to live there!!! You must be very proud of what you have created :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I should admit, in some of my larger enclosures which I have for the bigger tortoises, I have ummmm *blushes* "misplaced" a tortoise for a day. Seems most often it's a redfoot or a sulcata that becomes invisible. lol

....someone told me Hermann's have a knack for that too...

Do you think that you could put a Hingeback outside if the daytime temps were only in the 60's? (17-20 C.)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
....someone told me Hermann's have a knack for that too...

Do you think that you could put a Hingeback outside if the daytime temps were only in the 60's? (17-20 C.)
For an erosa or homeana, 90% would do fine-there are a few localities which won't though. I would think most Nogueyi would be fine as well.
I've got to get some pics up actually of my outside enclosure, although it's not a patch on Jacqui's. I've put up a few though to give you an idea of vegetation. Luckily, mine haven't climbed the walls yet outside, although they do inside, and I have found them 3ft up a gooseberry bush a few times!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG