outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
should greek torts be taken outside often or just occasionly.

thanks.

desertsss

5 Year Member
Torts should be outside as often as possible from what I have heard around the forum. No light can ever beat the real sunlight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is my opinion that tortoises are wild animals ans as such, belong outside. The larger the pen the better for their mental and physical well-being. Coming inside the house for the colder months is ok, but they really need to live outdoors.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I feel the bigger the enclosure the easier it is to care for a tortoise. They can have better mircoclimates and regulate humidty and heat on their own a lot better. If you can put them out as much as possible

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree, torts should be outside as much as possible. Nothing beats natural sunlight, natural microclimates, fresh foods, etc. I feel it is our responsiblity as keepers to do our best to provide the best for our shelled friends. Stating that some of our climates do not allow us to have our torts free roam all year long. so in incliment weather they should be cared for as best as possible inside.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The three most important factors that you need to know about keeping any species of tortoise outdoors is: 1)The definite indentification of the subspecies of tortoise that you have. 2) The environment & climate that the species is from in the wild, including seasonal changes and variations in temperature and humidity. 3) The environment in your area that they will be encountering outdoors. I live in the Northeast, where, given the proper set ups, most Testudo species can be kept outdoors almost, if not, year round. However, I also have some Redfoots and Burmese Mountain tortoises that can only spend about 4 months outdoors here at best. Sulcata and Leopards are out of the question for the most part. The bottom line is, you need to do the research and know your tortoises limitations and environmental needs. You cannot "force" a tortoise to survive in an environment that is not suitable for it. Because it won't for very long.

tortguy521 said:
should greek torts be taken outside often or just occasionly.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.