Food - Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

temper13

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wondering if I am good on Rocky food? I have sulcata and feeding one day Rose petals, next day hibisus flower, next day squash, next day carrot shavings. Occasionly I will feed him romaine lettuce, cactus also and watermelon rine. Does the way or the food I am feeding good or anyone have other suggestion to prevent pyramiding and healthy tortoise. He is out doors and does got access to graze on grass/weeds. Also once a week I add calcium powder.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
As long as he has access to graze and he IS grazing.. the things you are offering are treats. Have you ever tried Mazuri?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Sounds OK. You might want to add some collard, mustard, dandelion, or turnip greens. And as suggested, Mazuri. Mine also like pumpkin and butternut squash. Sometimes I feed it raw, cut up small, & other times I feed it cooked. I usually put extra in the freezer to be thawed as needed. It is good to keep parasites flushed out of them.
And we need pictures. We all like pictures
Good luck
Patsy

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
be careful not to add too much sugar in the diet, and does he have water? does the calcium have D3 in it?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The important thing is variety!!! How old is your sulcata?? I give my babies calcium every other day, and multivitamin twice a week, my older ones get calcium twice a week. If he is outdoors he needs the calcium w/o the D3 in it as they get that from the sun. I also toss spring mix in and I only give squash 1 or 2 times a week and I don't do fruit. Occasionally I give tomato w/ the seeds removed as well. My older ones get mazuri once or twice a week as treats which I mix the vitamins in with. I also give pumpkin in the fall as occasional treat before winter comes. Besides diet you also need to keep an eye on humidity as it is noted that to little humidity can also be a cause of pyramiding. Good Luck!!

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
you need to give him mostly grasses .. everything you named is great for treats, but he needs to have a good quanity af grass.. keep feeding him those items but chop it up and mix it up in a pile of bermuda or any other grasses safe for sulcatas.. haveing to much of the right food can also cause pyramiding, and all those treats you listed are the eqauvalint of you eating burger king every meal every day.. and make sure he gets excercise by giveing him a big area to roam, and to graze..

Status
Not open for further replies.