Outdoor Terrapin Habitat * update*

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
* update from here* - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/diamondback-terrapin-outside-tub-combo-revelation.90947/

This is basically where we left off on 4/22/14 -

Rain.. etc. has delayed progress and we are fast-forwarding too.. [ not progressive pics ]. Water is in main tub.. filtration - [ the water is a mess from the pollen, etc. ] and salt to make "brackish" is vital.

It's 5/03/14 and this is the view from deck off back door -

[ sure will be glad when this is done so everybody can go outside..... and I can clean up this UNDER CONSTRUCTION mess!!! ]

UPDATE Details -

All framed up and predator-proofed.. locks are only thing needed to complete this "feeder-tub". It is 140 gallon.. and is FRESH water so they can get their drinks at will.

Found lids from last year - here showing how the hinges are in place.. with Marineland HOT 250 ( gph ) filter with removeable cover for easy filter change, etc.

The hinges were attached so the lids can open and will "stand" open on their own! [ got lucky on that one ] -

View from end showing basking space with ramp.. etc. -

And "bridge" from feeder to main tub - still in experimenting stage -

I need to complete this in the next couple days - get main "brackish water" tub complete - new arrivals next week!!!

HURRY BACK

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Moozi.. someone asked me yesterday - "Have you been keeping turtles long?" I told him my grandmother took me to a 5 and dime store in 1953 [ ??? ] and bought me my first turtle! Fed it dried flies and ant eggs out of a cardboard box --- AND kept it in a tiny plastic tub with a spiral ramp and palm tree.. YES they did exist! So what does all that mean?

I hope I have a few things to teach about keeping turtles.. thank you.

What a buzy day.. these old bones ache all over.. new pics later this eve. !

parrotlady

5 Year Member
What material did you use for your ramps? It doesn't look familiar.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The ramps are commercial type floor mats. I was a machinist at a small Floor-mat / mold shop in my former life. Those mats are 48" x 30" and the nipples are about 3/8" - the turtles get such a good grip it's amazing the angle they can scale!

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Moozi.. someone asked me yesterday - "Have you been keeping turtles long?" I told him my grandmother took me to a 5 and dime store in 1953 [ ??? ] and bought me my first turtle! Fed it dried flies and ant eggs out of a cardboard box --- AND kept it in a tiny plastic tub with a spiral ramp and palm tree.. YES they did exist! So what does all that mean?

Really is amazing how far we have come since then, my turtle keeping experience is just a drop in a bucket compared to you and i find myself surprised just in the around 10+ years the small advances they have taken during my time. Yet whats sad is you said "yes they did exist" Death bowls! They still do and people still bring home small turtles in them and instead of ant eggs and flies, its just people feeding them nothing but dried krill. Advances in care and nutrition may be ever evolving but the same ignorance will always be there when its now so easy to access a wealth of information. Cant forget the people trying to make a quick buck, they really don't help either. Sadly some of the best advice i can give to people is if it says "For turtles" Dont buy it, its a rip off or a complete waste of your money. Example: Turtle Filters lol. Oh boy i started ranting here...

You got today and two more days to finish lol, especially when a some certain turtles are used to being outside;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This is what I saw last night when I called it quits -

All the details from yesterday tonight.. and today's results tomorrow!

I overdid it yesterday and could barely move this morning... but they are enjoying the fresh and brackish water choices now.......

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Since PLady asked -- the ramp "supports" are created using an old plastic tub cut to size and screwed under the bask/ramp loacation..
the screws are long enough to protrude above the top side maybe 1/4" or so - which helps hold the rubber mat in place - and the weight of the mat creates a perfect angle..

I decided to remove the basking spot in the feeder tub to allow move sun to show there.. and to encourage them to go to main tub to bask and be in the brackish water - and more water can be added now ( plus the holes from the 'eye-bolts' will now act as overflow protection when it rains ) -

Of course the big basking spot has been added now.. which they have already enjoyed -

And the first 'right' wall is now in place -

The main right frame -

Salt was added yesterday as well as the filtration.. etc.!!!

HURRY BACK......... almost there ----

I would be doing this - -if I weren't doing this -

This has really worn out these "old-bones" -----

Last edited:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
[ This is the second time I'm having to post this.. having issues with "preview" not available all of the time ( when I try MORE OPTIONS I lose the text, etc. ) - how do I address this and to who? Anyone know? ]

Shipping / receiving / delivery delays, etc. has slowed completion.. but almost there!

Walls are up and end "viewing panel" is in place - as seen this a.m. -

Hopefully better view of ramp to feeding tub.. they can almost walk right up it.. see how they hang into water -

And up to basking spot. Nest-box almost filled with sand -

A few "mods" for the nest-box and hinged-lids and they can stay outside for the rest of the season!!!