Easy build outdoor pond habitat

Aeon

Location (City and/or State)
Shenzhen, Guangdong
It's not quite finished yet but from the pictures you can get the general idea.
I'm using an INTEX kiddies paddling pool 1.22 x 1.22 x 30cm
Atman 1550L canister filter

This is a Work in Progress and as time goes by I will update this thread.

Aeon

Shenzhen, Guangdong
Here is the pool ...
In the centre I placed a piece of 5mm vinyl tabletop covering to give added durability ...

I have used these pools before in my last pond that lasted 5 years until I took it down just 2 months ago to move home.
My last pond had a pond liner but to be honest I think it was a little bit overkill.

20190125_192711.jpg 20190125_192711.jpg 20190125_193918.jpg 20190125_193937.jpg 20190125_194002.jpg 20190125_194017.jpg

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
This is an old tea table made from driftwood then cut down and turned back into driftwood lol...

This is the centrepiece View attachment 263933 View attachment 263934 View attachment 263935
That is an incredible piece of driftwood!

My only concern would be whether the narrow, thin "leg" of the driftwood could handle supporting the rest of the structure. Looking at the pictures of the driftwood by itself on the floor, I would want to make sure that there is no way any turtles could be crushed under the big part of the driftwood, if the thin leg gave way. You may have already taken care of that. I couldn't tell for certain from the pictures of the driftwood in the pond.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Also, make sure the enclosure is escape proof. I had not realized just how well mud turtles can climb (when they want to), until one of my turtles (Bold) decided he wanted to go exploring OUTSIDE of his container.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love that! And in one of the pictures it looks like you're in a high rise building. Who would have thought there would be a pond in a high rise? You did a nice job. I especially like the way the water comes back in from the filter. He's going to be a mighty happy little turtle!

Aeon

Shenzhen, Guangdong
Hahahaa yeah where there is a will there is a way I suppose

Don't worry about the driftwood it's not supported at all by that leg. Although that leg would be strong enough as it is a very hard dense wood they use for the tea tables. By the angle of my picture. Look at the images above where I first placed the centrepiece and you will see it is sturdy steady and safe!
It is 7cm on the thick end of the base and 5cm on the thin and where not totally level is leveled with bricks. My 2 year old stepson was sat on it and not so still (he is a boy lol) so rest assured it can take some welly
I'll post some more images to show you the filter placement and stuff.
But be warned lol its not for the feint of heart

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Very cool! I'm getting ready to do a pond build too.

Aeon

Shenzhen, Guangdong
I'll be adding some more driftwood tomorrow that I've had disinfecting yesterday and now soaking to help sink it.
I'm also making a basking/digging garden for mine I'll add images as I go on that too.

Aeon

Shenzhen, Guangdong
So today I have got some sand for the digging garden. More driftwood hidey holes, some leaf litter (which should also raise pH levels) for hiding and foraging in.
Built a little enclosure for the filter inlet ready for when I add the substrate (hahahaa yeah yeah I know. Last thing should be the first such is life)
For substrate I have decided on half / half sand and gravel. Gravel around the filter inlet area and then sand around the basking beach.
Anyway here's the pictures..

Aeon

Shenzhen, Guangdong
For the filter inlet.
I built up some bricks a to give the turtles some more shallow area and also will serve as an extra layer of protection stopping any debris from clogging the filter. Also around this area will be gravel. 20190206_120206.jpg 20190206_120212.jpg

Aeon

Shenzhen, Guangdong
This is drainage for the sandbox, beachy, basking, digging, hide garden
Roger likes the gravel too and asked if he/she could have some in the water home, how could I refuse
20190206_101344.jpg 20190206_101355.jpg 20190206_104142.jpg 20190206_104139.jpg