Outdoor Sulcata Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I'm building Spunky an outdoor enclosure. I have a small enclosure now that's 5 and a half feet long by 2 and a half feet wide. So I took a very thin piece of plywood at the bottom of the enclosure to protect him from digging out and put a layer of cypress mulch and organic top soil about 2 foot deep with a little more cypress mulch mixed in top layer of soil. I'm building a raised flower box for him for now and I'm going to add like 4 more foot in length to it. It will end up being about 9 foot long by about 2 and a half foot wide. I plan to plant him some greens to nibble on in there. Spunkys only 16 to 20 months old so he's only out there on days when its 71degrees or above. His enclosure is full sun, with lots of places to cool down. He will have two humid hides and another one to chill out in.lol Will post pics as I go along ..If anyone sees something I missed just let me know. Please. Oh and he's never out there, never ever alone. And if anyone can tell me how long he would be able to stay in an enclosure this size, I'd appreciate it muchly.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Everything sounds good. Give him a hide on the sunny part and a hide in the shade part and provide plants or pots etc to give shade

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I added arugula and mustard some jade plant and a small aloe plant. Its still very unfinished but we will hopefully finish it up by sun. I'm excited.lol

nearpass

10 Year Member!
sissyofone said:
I added arugula and mustard some jade plant and a small aloe plant. Its still very unfinished but we will hopefully finish it up by sun. I'm excited.lol

Any chance you could add some pictures? That always sparks interest among those of us who love to see what others build outdoors :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Can't answer the question with accuracy about how long this enclosure would be large enough for him, but they do grow fairly quickly. If you could continue to expand it over time as he grew, that would be great.

Have you thought about making a lid with galvanized mesh, 1", on a wood frame to help keep him secure so you could leave him there for a few hours during the day? At least while he is smaller?

Don't forget a water dish, perhaps a large ceramic pot base for now.
Your plans sound really nice, including the greens, etc., that you have planted. Perhaps a couple of flat rocks clustered together for basking?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Sounds pretty cool. I have some garden stones medium and large to place in the enclosure. He's using a ceramic dish that's about as big as a dinner plate and about 1inch deep for water. I can make it like 9 ft long and 2 and a half feet wide pretty easily. I was just low on substrate so I made it shorter for now. Lol. I'm so excited about this enclosure he's going to love it. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.