Can our patio support a tortoise?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think if we stack the cinderblocks high enough around the perimeter, we can prevent any escape attempts. We're also planning on stretching chicken wire across the top of the fence to make a roof that will prevent predators getting in and the tortoise getting out (if it somehow manages to scale the 8 foot high privacy fence!)

About redfoots though. I guess my main concern is I'm not sure how we can maintain the proper humidity the tortoise needs, especially since it'll be in a outdoor, open-top enclosure. It can get pretty dry around here with the santa anna winds. Is there a good way to maintain stable humidity year round? All the info I find online seems to be about maintaining humidity in a indoor closed-top tank. I'm not sure how well that translates to an outdoor setup.
Without a lot of direct sunlight. I'd use a sprinkler head on a garden hose for about 5 minutes 2 x a day to make it rain. The mulch tends to stay damp. Also, Redfoot don't climb or dig. Mine have never gotten through my 6' "shadow box" wooden privacy fence. But now that I have a dog next door, I don't allow them out of their pen to roam the yard.
Check out my video: Redfoot habitat Florida style on Youtube.
I think everything I use here would translate to so. Cal.

Last edited:

_paper_moon_

Southern California
Without a lot of direct sunlight. I'd use a sprinkler head on a garden hose for about 5 minutes 2 x a day to make it rain. The mulch tends to stay damp. Also, Redfoot don't climb or dig. Mine have never gotten through my 6' "shadow box" wooden privacy fence. But now that I have a dog next door, I don't allow them out of their pen to roam the yard.
Check out my video: Redfoot habitat Florida style on Youtube.
I think everything I use here would translate to so. Cal.

Your setup looks really nice! My fiance and I don't have experience with landscaping or building things, but we're going to try our best. It's very helpful to see the sort of things we'll need to include and how to arrange them.

_paper_moon_

Southern California
You can get mulch from almost any home improvement stores including Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc. I get a huge bag of mulch for $3. Make sure you are getting 100% mulch with nothing added to it (chemicals/color). Make sure to only get mulch and not cedar or pine wood chips because those emit harmful chemicals.
Hope that helps!
Thank you,
@tortoiseplanet

Thanks for the info! :)

_paper_moon_

Southern California
Nobody is recommending greek or Hermann? Why no love for them? Lol

Hermanns are very pretty. ^^ I really like the look of them. From what I've read online, it seems the care and environment necessary for a Hermann or Greek is pretty much the same as a Russian tortoise right? I'm still a bit worried about these types of tortoises (Testudo) receiving enough sunlight in our shaded patio. But I think providing a few Powersun lamps might be enough? Then again, rather than relying on lamps, the tortoise may be happier if we go with a species that is already naturally better suited for shade (like a redfoot or box turtle). I still haven't decided either way, but I definitely appreciate all the recommendations and information everyone has been providing!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sounds perfect! :) Do you know how deep the substrate should be for a red foot tortoise or where we can find that info?

On youtube, look up the channels ernest johnson and kamp kenan. You will see great outdoor enclosures, among other surprises! In here too, many members have done amazing work with outdoor spaces. Redfoot is your best option. They love to dig when they are young. Lay down cypress mulch with coco coir soil. With planted cactus pads, mangos. My wife and I have 4 of them. Redfoots are beautiful.

_paper_moon_

Southern California
On youtube, look up the channels ernest johnson and kamp kenan. You will see great outdoor enclosures, among other surprises! In here too, many members have done amazing work with outdoor spaces. Redfoot is your best option. They love to dig when they are young. Lay down cypress mulch with coco coir soil. With planted cactus pads, mangos. My wife and I have 4 of them. Redfoots are beautiful.

Thank you for the links to these YouTube channels! They are very helpful!

_paper_moon_

Southern California
Since the outdoor enclosure will be in the shade pretty much the whole day, should we invest in a uvb lamp? Will the ambient uvb in the shade be enough for a redfoot tortoise or will it need direct uvb exposure through a uvb lamp?