Outdoor Pen

Well ever since I helped a boxie across the road I have been doing my research on keeping them as pets.
I was originally going to use a 150 gallon aquarium, then found out outdoor pens were far better. So now I am in the process of building a 4'x8' partial in ground pen. Now I was wondering if I should have some kind of top to prevent further escape and predators?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Depends on where you live. If you have predators (who doesn't?) then you should predator proof the pen.

Well we have had some bad experiences with raccoons eating our chickens :confused:. We will definitely put mesh on the top of the pen

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Yeah raccoons are a big threat to boxies. We have lots of raccoons here too because our house backs up to a park and lots of woods.

Too solve the chicken problem we trapped and relocated the raccoons with the help of pest control so I guess we can do it again

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have a three legged box turtle because of raccoons. She's a three-legged three-toed!

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Oh yeah you'd never know she had a stump! It's one of her back legs and she still digs egg holes every year without any problem at all. After it first happened I had a little spoon to help her dig a proper hole. She didn't need my help at all! Still make a perfectly rounded egg hole with just one foot. Although she still uses her stump like the foot is there even though it doesn't even touch any dirt. :)