Outdoor Habitat Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellysTort

5 Year Member
I've read previous threads on this issue, but I'm still not sure what to do for my 2.5 year old desert tortoise. I've build him a wood "man-cave" (see photos) as my soil is too moist/clay-like for a dirt burrow. My temps are still below 50 degrees at night. Should I get some sort of heating pad? If so, what type? Can it be placed under wood? thank you!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • Man-Cave.jpg
    Man-Cave.jpg
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 74

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Because my desert tortoises hibernate, I don't do anything to offer them heat outside. They are acclimated to being cold for hibernation. They wake up, go out and sun themselves, then if its still cold, they go back into their non-heated house. If the sun isn't shining, they don't come out.

I don't believe in bringing them in to warm up simply because the weather isn't warm enough. They go through cold days in the desert too. On those days, they simply sit in their shelter and wait for the warm.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't provide a heated hut and/or burrow for the CDTs here either....I generally will leave them out in the cold weather as well...HOWEVER I will collect them and bring them in for brumation as well as if there is a cold/freezing spell accompanied by heavy rain...but when I bring them in it is not to a heated table but rather back into their individual sleeping boxes tucked into their brumating closet...I want them to remain cool as if outside but just not wet and cold...this is more my OCD due to prior three years of traumatic events during wet and freezing winters...lol...:D

However...if you are wanting him to have a heated outdoor box you can insulate the box as well as bury it with at least 8-10 inches of dirt for natural insulation...or you can get one of the blue plastic barrels that they sell at feed stores (also on line) and cut it in half length wise and then cut out one end of the half as an entrance...then place it where you want his half dome to be at...pile some clean dirt to make an elevated platform...set the half dome onto the dirt platform...proceed to cover that half dome with about at least 8-10 inches all the way around especially the back closed end...this gives them the contour they naturally create and allows you to utilize natural insulation..dirt...I have one of these in each of the CDT yards as a primary or secondary retreat....you can temp it to find that it works pretty good....I would peek in from time to time to know if he is doing a bit of remodeling or underground additions...lol..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like a perfect place to use a small Radiant Heat panel on a thermostat. They are very safe, you can attach it to the wooden ceiling and it can never start a fire or burn your tortoise. Just set the thermostat to come on at whatever temp you want.

KellysTort

5 Year Member
Hi, so I'm still sorting this out. Would I put the radiant heat panel on the outside top of the man made burrow?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
KellysTort said:
Hi, so I'm still sorting this out. Would I put the radiant heat panel on the outside top of the man made burrow?

No, you put it inside the burrow.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I'm not at all sure what is meant by a radiant heat panel. Could someone please post a link

Status
Not open for further replies.