Outdoor greenhouse heater?

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
Does anybody have any recommendations for how to keep an outdoor enclosure warm? The temperature outside is only around 60 degrees and our greenhouse isn't insulated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use an oil filled portable radiator heater. However, my shed is insulated. The heater should work, but it's going to run a lot. I run mine on a thermostat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like you, my greenhouse isn't insulated. I have it full of plants for the winter. I run one of these:

044387071529.jpg

Mine has two settings - 600 watt and 1200 watt. I run it turned as hot as it will go on the 600 watt setting and it keeps the plants from freezing, but still not warm enough for a tortoise to live in there. I have another greenhouse with no heater, but a heated night box. I lock the tortoises up inside the night box nightly and if the sun shines at all the next day, the interior of that green house gets warm enough to allow the tortoises out of the box. Otherwise, they have to stay locked up.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
my greenhouse isn't anywhere near a port. Do you guys know heaters that are battery operated (Yvonne, did yours run on battery?)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hired an electrician to run a line. I'm not averse to using extension cords to bring electricity to the tortoise sheds, but for the greenhouse heater I felt it would be safer to actually have the line run. It didn't cost much. I dug the trench. If I remember correctly, it was a bit less than $200. My breaker box is full, so he piggy backed off an existing outlet from the house.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I looked online, and I found one that is about the same wattage, about 700 watts. It's battery operated, which is pretty convenient. My next question isn't completely related to the heater, but how do I make sure he gets sunlight? Currently there is a canopy to keep the rain off. I take him outside when the sun is out, but when it rains he stays in the greenhouse. How do I be sure uvb, as it rains a lot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I mounted a T-10 UVB fluorescent bulb on a far wall in their night box. I only turn it on on the days the tortoises are locked in.