Outdoor enclosures

landon

5 Year Member
Hello I am building an outdoor enclosure for my tort, I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

I have built "hobbit hole" for my tort. I have dug a hole a few feet down into the ground, I have used fence posts that are notched out, together in an x shape. I used chicken wire and wire fencing crossed as well,then applied the top layer of earth. Lastly I've dug a trench for water drainage so there's no drowning. I'm in need of some barrier tips for the border and just any helpful tips for bettering his environment. Thank you very much Sorry if my explanation is a little hard to follow, here's some pictures to help give a visual. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442410629.661983.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442410645.808731.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442410659.927300.jpg

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
That looks pretty cool. How far in does it go? Can you reach your tortoise to remove it if you want? I am guessing you have a Sulcata? My tortoises don't really burrow so I have above ground only shelter for them. Shade rather than temperature mitigation.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I like the hobbit hole. I did something similar and it works great. All but one of my leopards use it. Thanks for the post. I like the way you did this. For barrier it depends a little what kind of tortoise you have. I use a combination of bricks and railroad ties. Only one of my leopards, the same one that doesn't like my hides, walks along the wall. He was scraping his shell, so I had to line it with firewood for a quick fix. My Sulcata walks the wall, but not close enough to rub. A lot of people use plywood or fence boards.

landon

5 Year Member
Thank you very much :) I have a marginated tortoise, they come from Greece/Italy, so I was going to try and give him some safe hills to climb (trying to keep his hips from turning in) the hole itself is about 3 feet down id say giving him roughly a 10 degree temp difference. I like the railway tie for barriers thank you I will keep posted with the tips you have given :) thanks so much. I know my marginated won't get to the size of the sulcata but I just want to give him as much space as I can :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've gone from something like that to burrows that have lids because I had to remove the tortoise every now and then for one reason or another...Or clean it.
While I love that natural look, it didn't work for me.

landon

5 Year Member
I have dug a 12 inch trench around the inside border of the enclosure. I took chicken wire and nailed it to the bottom of the fence, I buried the chicken wire underground. Do you think this will be a strong enough barrier for my tort? I want to make it as strong as possible.
Thanks in advance for any tips or criticism :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443413415.516064.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443413428.011255.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
I can't imagine your tortoise getting through the chicken wire. It looks good.

My preference has been to use 2" x 12" horizontally laid boards even against a chain link fence on the inside. My tortoises seem to think if they can see through something - they can get through it.

The boards solve this.