Outdoor Enclosure for Sulcata

bduperry

I own an 11 year old african sulcata named Fred and I live in New England. With the size of the yard we have now I only have about 6ft x 12ft to work with and I am trying to design an outdoor enclosure for him. I would appreciate any suggestions or design ideas.

Kori5

That's not enough for such a big animal. I keep an Hermanni in a similar size. They need a lot of space. Is it only temporary, do you plan to move somewhere with a bigger yard? I mean, for one summer I guess it could work :).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I own an 11 year old african sulcata named Fred and I live in New England. With the size of the yard we have now I only have about 6ft x 12ft to work with and I am trying to design an outdoor enclosure for him. I would appreciate any suggestions or design ideas.

With such a small yard, why can't you allow him to have the whole space?

bduperry

I live with my grandparents and my grandfather is crazy about having a nice lawn so the larger area where I would be able to make something for him is all fertilized grass. It's not my house and that is the only space i have to work with. I'm trying to make the most of it for now.

Kori5

I know it's hard when you still live with your parents and they don't understand your love for your animals. I get you :). Hope you'll find a nice place with a big yard in the future. For now, I would negotiate with your grandpa and ask for a few more meters. Then I would try to make something like this. You need a hiding place, possibly under ground, a nice big pool for water and some shade so he can stay cool.

4ccf700e072336d96ff04b27ae4d1619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bduperry

Thank you for understanding :) and thank you for the suggestion. I greatly appreciate it!

Kori5

You're welcome :). I hope sulcata people visit and give you some nice ideas as I don't own one. But I feel the most important part is the hiding place so he can get out of the sun and some water area like this:

Attachments

• 8a4be9f3307c4ac36e250260541f5a5f.jpg
    8a4be9f3307c4ac36e250260541f5a5f.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 43

bduperry

UPDATE:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464360502.794514.jpg
This is Fred's new pen. Just ordered some plants and waiting for them to come in. There is a burrow under that first strip of sod you see and in that small alcove I'm going to put a small "waterhole".