New Outdoor Enclosure - safe for all night?

Beach_Bum

Location (City and/or State)
Kihei, Hawaii
So, I built this outdoor enclosure that my little guys (around 5 inches, 5 months old) have been spending most of their days in for the past week. We live on Maui, so the temperatures and humidity are excellent (upper 80's/ mid 60's winter and Upper 90's/ mid 70's Summer - high humidity). Not even a hint of pyramiding. The enclosure is pretty solid and I can't see a way for them to escape unless I saw them trying to dig holes. Also, there really aren't any predators that could get in with them when the "lid" is put on the open section. Other than a potential possible heat source and hide for nightime, do you see any reason why they couldn't live outside full time? They get about three hours of potential direct sunlight (or less if they sit in the shade). The current hide is two large solid bricks with wood over the top. The thinking is the bricks stay cool during the day until they get heated throughout the day and stay warm for the night. They're eating the grass in the enclosure and I suppliment with Mazuri and very light on treats like endive, escarole, some romaine occassionally. There is a food dish, a drinking dish, and a shallow lounging "pool". The enclosure is modular and easily moved to different locations for new grass access and better or less sunlight as needed. Any input is appreciated. PS - The enclosure is 3 feet by 8 feet and easily expanded from 3' to wider just by inserting longer boards. The "roof" is 12" high and the entire unity was constructed using untreated pine.

20210216_093522.jpg20210216_093540.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks nice, but your night time temperatures are still below 80F which is really the minimum you should have. Thats a Sulcata you have there, right?

Ps - i think you posted this today just to show off your wonderful weather! ?

55B12DA4-913B-4F84-9B0C-3B79C9DADA15.jpeg

Beach_Bum

Kihei, Hawaii
Haha ;) Not trying to hate on your weather or rub anything in! I know several people on island who've raised sulcatas completely wild with no heat at all and they've all grown to be big and healthy (their parents are both over 100lbs). That said, I'm still going to probably invest in a heating strategy for their hide. I just need to come upwith some ideas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know several people on island who've raised sulcatas completely wild with no heat at all and they've all grown to be big and healthy...
Yeah, but a lot of them get respiratory infections and die. Those people don't tend to talk about it much.

Your babies are too small and young to live outside full time, and your nights are much too cold. I've been to HI in December. I had to wear a light jacket. It was cold at night.

Babies shouldn't be outside full time until they are at least around 8 inches. They need a large indoor closed chamber, and they can spend part of each day outside in nice weather. Climate doesn't matter. This is true in their native range. I've done many side-by-side experiments and talked to many other keepers around the world who have also tried it both ways to reach this conclusion.

When it is time for them to live outside full time, you will need a temperature controlled shelter with heating and a thermostat. Like these:

How many do you have? They should never live in pairs. Groups of juveniles should be fine, but not pairs.

This care info is for starting babies anywhere in the world. Follow it and your babies with thrive: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/