Outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Yaj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
HI, I'm pretty new here, we just got a russian tortoise not too long ago and was thinking bout making an outdoor enclosure. He's about 5-6 inches from head to tail, and were thinking about making a 3'x3' pen for him, is that enough room? And what kind of material i should use as the walls and roof. Was thinking bout greenhouse glass as the roof but idk. Ideas anyone??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you have the room, try to make it bigger. They just love to roam and walk. Could you go as large as 10-12' by 2' or 3'? You will never regret making it as big as you can.
You can use a 4'x8' piece of exterior plywood (lumber yards can but it into three 16" pieces the long way so you would end up with a 4'by 8' OR 2' by 12' enclosure), or cement blocks.
The top can be partially screened in ( use 2"x2" or 1" x2" wood like cedar for frame and chicken or galvanized wire). Then 1/3 of it can have polycarbonate or plexiglass to allow for a dry, warmer area. You can add a wall with a doorway to help hold in the heat.
UVB won't penetrate, but they can go in and out depending on the weather. This can really heat up if the sun hits it, so there has to be an open area too.

I have found the idea of a raised bed works really well for Russians, in that you can put heavy duty plastic fencing on the bottom to prevent them digging out, and back fill with untreated garden or topsoil up about 6-8".

If you post a pic of the area you want to use, others will have ideas too.

A.Yaj

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Alright thanks!!! I'll post a picture as soon as possible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.