Outdoor Enclosure.

tony79

The snow's almost gone, so I'm trying to plan out my outside tortoise space. My first thought is staking down some 1X6s, around 10' square give or take, so I can move Franklins space around the yard for mowing, fresh weeds etc. He's a 6 yr old Herman's, so I'm going to be bringing him in at night. Any thoughts or suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good to me. Seems like I remember another member building a moveable enclosure for the same reason. I can't remember who it was though.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
They sure are! Your enclosure looks like it was professionally done! I envy you:)
I'm glad that you like my enclosure. I build all my enclosures. I enjoyed.....

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I a top necessary? Not many tortoise predators in Canada.

Depends where you are and how big the tortoise is. We have a lot of raccoons here in my part of Canada that would love a small tortoise snack - but if you have a locked nightbox or plan to bring them in at night, I wouldn't worry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Beautiful enclosure for sure. One thing I would do is make the side mesh one with smaller squares or make it impossible for them to stick their heads outside of it ...Their head might (?) get stuck in it and they get hurt?

tony79

ok, I've got a plan now. I'll toss up some pics once I get something put together. Thanks all.

tony79

Ok, all, here's rev A. still waiting for things to warm up a bit more for some plants, and stuff, but figured Franklin could handle 3 minutes of 19 degrees C.IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG for a photo op.