Outdoor Enclosure - Moveable, Lightweight Etc

shellyshelly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk
Hi All,

Our tortoise has an indoor enclosure. In hot weather she enjoys being outside.

We have a small back garden, with no room for a permanent enclosure. If we are also outside, we sometimes allow her to roam freely.
We also have a frame made out of deck boards, with metal mesh on the top. it can be moved around to follow the sun & stored vertically at the end of the garden.
But it is heavy to move.

We have been looking at some alternative approaches:

This is very flexible, but she would easily be able to escape & other animals get in. We use some deck boards around the sides, but seems like we might as well carry on with current solution if thats the case.

These look more secure, but less flexible. The mesh is quite fine, so I wonder if it will block out too much sun?

Does anyone use anything like the above, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try puttung wheels on the one you use at one end so you can lift one end and wheel it to wherever
The two you posted wouldn't be good in my opinion.
You could also look for the plastic type garden beds. They would probably work and not heavy.

shellyshelly

5 Year Member
uk
I'm still trying to come up with a better solution, but everything I think of has a disadvantage!

Found a few examples of a fruit cage type of enclosure, not sure the first one looks very strong, but the second one looks ok.

1/2" hardware cloth seems sensible rather than bird netting.

89e2a555.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Last edited:

Tinytony

Eccles
Hi All,

Our tortoise has an indoor enclosure. In hot weather she enjoys being outside.

We have a small back garden, with no room for a permanent enclosure. If we are also outside, we sometimes allow her to roam freely.
We also have a frame made out of deck boards, with metal mesh on the top. it can be moved around to follow the sun & stored vertically at the end of the garden.
But it is heavy to move.

We have been looking at some alternative approaches:

This is very flexible, but she would easily be able to escape & other animals get in. We use some deck boards around the sides, but seems like we might as well carry on with current solution if thats the case.

These look more secure, but less flexible. The mesh is quite fine, so I wonder if it will block out too much sun?

Does anyone use anything like the above, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks

I live in the uk also, and don’t have much garden space to build a large enclosure… I have just bought this one for my Russian, they have the lid over so your baby will be safe if your not outside watching. But my tortoise is only 3 so he’s small.

6CCB48FE-42A0-4767-AC48-83FC91CF0715.png