New outdoor enclosure!

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hey all! It's been a while since I posted regularly, but my husband and I decided it was time to expand Thor's enclosure! He was able to escape out of our previous enclosure, but this one seems good so far! Still working on getting plants put in. Heading to an organic nursery this weekend to help! Any suggestions on plants are more than welcome. We are located in Kentucky! We are hoping to put some sort of chicken wire/barrier over the top so we can leave him out longer during the day. Suggestions always welcome!

1467122643909.jpg 1467122654592.jpg 1467122662997.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
That looks fantastic! What a pretty enclosure! Are you sure Thor can't climb over it? I love the way you made it curve, it looks very classy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like it.

Rose of sharon, hosta, any of the viola/violet/pansy family, clover, dichondra, dandelion, grape vine, berry vine, squash plants...there are quite a few edible plants. Take a look at the list shown in the thread "for those who have a young sulcata." The edible plants shown there are good for your species too.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Thanks! We are pretty pleased with it! As of right now it's about 15 inches high. He may be able to get over it in the future, but no chance right now. We also made sure that there are no ledges for him to get a foot up on. As of right now if he stands up, he is about as tall as one of the bricks. It may require modification in the future, but we may not be in this house at that time. Thanks Yvonne for the suggestions! I will take a look into those!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
15 inches should be plenty high enough! :) I thought it was a lot shorter when I looked at the picture. ;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very nice. To keep him from climbing out maybe add one more layer of blocks that overhang the inside by about 4 inches.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If you stack the top row slightly inward, there's no chance of climbing out...even when the tort gets bigger ;)

Instead of covering the pen with netting or chicken wire (kinda ugly) you can use the natural form of cover.....plants! If you sow some grass seeds or a tortoise mix and let it grow, the tort can eat and hide. win win! I'd keep the edges trimmed short but let the middle grow tall.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I love hardy hibiscus. It dies back in freeze but comes back in spring. Some Flowers size of dinner plate, very pretty. I just finished fencing in my outdoor enclosure for my baby RF's. I used cinderblocks stackng them up like yours. I have been collecting plants that provide both shade and food. Looking for tall, short and groundcovers. I'll take pics this w/e. Check out my thread, my enclosure looks similar to yours. It's something like "Pearly's outdoor enclosure in Texas" or something like that. I love it that you're making it part of your garden landscape. It really looks very nice