Outdoor enclosure help/ideas please

BigTomsMom

Location (City and/or State)
Opelousas louisiana
59C1E3B5-5F2E-405B-BD17-E2489014594A.jpeg I recently acquired a 10 year old male redfoot. He is beautiful and so friendly, but he has been living in an indoor enclosure that is too small for him. He weighs 6 pounds and is 13” long. My husband and i want to get him outside full time. We feel that he will be much happier outside. We live in Louisiana so the weather is perfect most of the year.

Any advise on what is best to use as an underground barrier to keep him from digging out? Preferably something that will last a long time and will not need constant maintaining.

Also any advise on the best fencing to use? I know chain link is not the best Bc he could climb it and also does not provide a visual barrier.

Any advise helps! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my experience with the RF tortoise, they don't dig. They like to burrow into leaf litter at resting times, but don't dig burrows, and don't dig under the fence.

As long as a tortoise can't see daylight under a fence, they won't dig, but if the fence doesn't quite come all the way to the ground and light shows under, they may try digging there.

All my fences are either solid redwood privacy fence or horizontal boards of corral lumber (I think it's either white oak or cottonwood), and solid so the animals can't see past the fence.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Welcome and congrats on your new tortoise. I’m in Denham Springs. I don’t have any redfoots though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They do not dig.
One of my first outdoor enclosures had about $200 worth of unnecessary cement pavers buried under it.
Actually they are still there.
Look at my YOUTUBE video called REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE
It shows my work in progress, inexpensive Redfoot pen.
While it is not the best enclosure, hopefully itll show you a few inexpensive ideas.
An outdoor enclosure doesn't need to cost a lot to be successful.
Mine utilizes steel pickets driven into the ground with 6' wooden fence slats attached. Then 2x4. Some lattice and a mesh screen on top.
The top was to keep out feral cats that like to poop in the night houses.

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Welcome and Louisiana is almost perfect conditions for a redfoot outdoor with oppressive humidity you have. Again welcome and good luck. Check the outdoor enclosures Forum and be prepared to be visually overloaded with some super awesome Tortie Parents!!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I’m not familiar with your climate. But if it’s hot and humid your on the money.
I’ve never had any of mine dig. So a solid barrier of at least 24” high will do.
Plenty of plant and bush cover to provide deep shade , overgrown grassy areas and some open areas with a couple of fruit trees if possible. Grow some hibiscus for cover and food supply. Can you get some small fig and plum trees. Also a tray dug level to the ground for water. Something simple like a tomato tray. You can just tip it up or blast it with hosepipe from time to time and refill.
They must have access to well shaded areas.