New enclosure, appetite decreased

BigTomsMom

Location (City and/or State)
Opelousas louisiana
My 12 year old red foot that i got in November has been living inside his whole life. He ate like a beast, anything offered he would eat. Recently in the past month i have moved him outside and he is not interested in greens anymore, only fruit. I live in Louisiana where It is hot and humid. He has a house for night time w a heat lamp and cypress bark substrate. He has an outside hide to get out of the sun if he wants. He’s very active, moves all around the enclosure as if he’s exploring. I’ve seen him nibble on the grass but doesn’t seem to be eating enough of that to equal what he was eating when he was inside. He is also eating hibiscus flowers which is new to him as well. 2E15D84A-3BE3-4F61-85C2-2E340CEF1D40.jpeg 61C1829A-B539-4C5C-AFCA-1B2DC43CD28C.jpeg He’s still pooping, I’m still soaking him a couple times a week. Will put some enclosure pics below... just worried he’s not eating enough. Or is it possible he was eating so much inside bc he was bored?

aqualungs

Perry, OH
He’s just needing some adjustment time. He is looking for his old spot. Pretty soon he will adjust and eat again. Soaking and hydration is important so keep that up for sure!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises do not like change very very OCD about it. He fears he's in a new territory and there might be another tortoise who's already claimed it and he's afraid he might get chased out or flipped over. He needs time to realize he is the only tortoise around and everything in there is his. No surprise he loves hibiscus flowers that's known as tortoise crack

Relic

Here
Nice enclosure. I like that you can see directly into it from your home windows. Mine is not visible from the house and I often wish I had located it closer. You might plant a couple of bushes in there to provide some more shade from that hot Louisiana summer sun...Rose of Sharon (a perennial hibiscus) would be nice, with both edible flowers and leaves.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice enclosure. I like that you can see directly into it from your home windows. Mine is not visible from the house and I often wish I had located it closer. You might plant a couple of bushes in there to provide some more shade from that hot Louisiana summer sun...Rose of Sharon (a perennial hibiscus) would be nice, with both edible flowers and leaves.
A well planted, well shaded enclosure is best for a RF.