New Enclosure Slow Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I started working on this at the beginning of April, First I had a lot of plants to move, water iris,sun drops,gladiolas,cactus,hibiscus,and sedums. The top of the enclosure will be at ground level.I still have about a cubic yard of dirt to remove to get it where I want it.It measures 6ft x 12ft and the side walls are 13in high.- slowly but surely it's getting done- Len

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Your way ahead of me. Mine is still just in my head. Love all the cacti.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Len:

That first picture shows that it was quite a daunting task! Just out of curiosity: why are you making it below ground level? You're not worried about flooding when it rains? And what kind of tortoise will live in there when you're finished?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
Hi Len:

That first picture shows that it was quite a daunting task! Just out of curiosity: why are you making it below ground level? You're not worried about flooding when it rains? And what kind of tortoise will live in there when you're finished?

Yes there were more plants in that small area then I expected, when I dug the glads up there were over 100 marble size bulbs attached to the seven or eight plants that I knew were there, I put them in trays.I am putting it below ground so that it can't be seen from the road, and I can heat it in winter easier, and it will stay cooler in the summer. It's in the front yard not with the others in back.I always think of flooding but this area drains pretty good.I dug the framing trench about 8in deep about a month ago and we have had some real gully washers recently with no build up of water in the trench.Right now I am setting it up to house some asian leaf turtles or the young manouri, haven't decided yet which will go in it. Len

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been contemplating this sort of thing too. The earth just keeps temps so much more stable. Bert Langerwerf was a master at using these techniques.

I'll be watching with great anticipation Len. Please share with us what you learn from this regarding, temps, flooding and how the chelonians fare down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.