Outdoor Enclosure for Rescued Sulcata - Feedback please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortaunt

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of this food for thought, folks. I have been a little stressed out as my goal was to rescue the guy and now I fear that I am actually making him sick. :(

He came from an environment where he was 1) never outside, 2) not receiving any UVB from his indoor lighting, 3) eating spinach, 4) never getting soaked, 5) not exposed to any humidity and 6) receiving no calcium supplement. So, yes, he is starting to pyramid and I'm hoping to reverse that!

I think he was getting too cold at times outside the past few days so I'm going to keep him inside until I can ensure that his outdoor set-up can accommodate temperature drops. Since I am out of the house three days a week from morning 'til night, I can't put him out on those days unless I can ensure that he can get to warmth if need be. As such, I'm going to keep the Mercury Vapor Bulb that I purchased for UVA/UVB and heat. I will use that on those days that he does not get outside. I will continue to use the black light at night in his indoor enclosure. Additionally, I am going to set-up and use the lights as Sandy suggested - black light on hide side, only on at night; MVB on opposite side, only on during day.

As for his flipping over that I had mentioned, it couldn't have been longer than 30-45 minutes as I was checking on him quite frequently.

My boyfriend can't do any work on the outdoor part for another month or so, so I am going to wait on working on the heating solution for that until then.

Phew, that's a lot to say!

Oh, one more thing, should the humidity be 70% throughout the indoor enclosure or only on the hot side (which would mean, I assume, that I would wet that 1/2 but not that other)?

Thanks again!
Courtney

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Courtney,

You can't reverse the pyramiding, but the new growth will lessen the look of it if so long as his conditions improve as you're trying to do now. About the humidity -just remember hot & humid is good, cold and humid is bad - If the black light is on the end with his hide, it probably still needs to be dampend - not sopping wet, just damp, but you'll need to check the temps to be sure its not too cold. For correct temps and humidity, I'll let a more experienced Sulcata keeper answer how to do it, since my Leopards need less humidity so I don't struggle with that issue as much.

tortaunt

5 Year Member
Does anyone think it's ironic that the tortoise in the logo for this site has pyramiding?

tortaunt

5 Year Member
Hey there-

So Tortilla seems to be doing better today - he ate and is basking. Yay! However, when I measure the temp under the Mercury Vapor Bulb, it is really hot. It can fluctuate from 95 in the early day to over 100 when it has been on all day. Does that mean the wattage is too high or it is too close? I know the ideal temp is like 85 so what should I do?

Thanks for everything!
Courtney

tortaunt

5 Year Member
Tortilla is outside right now - loving it! Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Nom Nom.jpg
    Nom Nom.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 18
M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Courtney, you are doing a great job! Please don't think I was coming down on you because of his pyramiding. I think you are doing really well. But...I personally leave the black light bulb on 24/7. I have noticed they burn out a lot faster when they are being turned off and on. I have 10 habitats inside and I leave the black light bulb on in all of them...
I just read that he is eating...see what you've done? Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.