Outdoor day run

Briony Wright

I have two hermanns, age 2 and 3. They have lots of energy, one that is a keen digger and one that is smart enough to escape her current run however she is still in her flipping over phase. They also enjoy sitting in their food and water bowls.

We are hoping to build a large run to keep them in when it is nice out but from looking around this forum there are lots of ideas that look amazing and would be better suited than the design we had in mind.

I would really appreciate any advice on shapes of the run, sizes of a house for them and what things, such as plants, to put in to keep them happy

Just a note, we are keen to give objects a new life too! We have a few plant trays that were never used that we plan to turn into a digging area for my eldest

Briony Wright

one more thing, they work together to climb higher by standing on top of each other and there are many cats around my area so the top will have to be covered up, probably in mesh so that they still have sunlight. Also I'm in the UK so the weather isn't always great for plants.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I think a rectangle or 'L' shape works best, and is easier to service (reach all areas).
I like a sort of raised bed, maybe 24" high, out of exterior plywood or treated wood. I see some in the UK using 'decking'.
Once you create the raised bed sides, you can put mesh hardware underneath to avoid dig outs or predators digging in.
Flip it over and then back fill with some drainage rock (2-3") then topsoil, perhaps 8-10".

Then you make a framed lid with 1/2" hardware mesh screwed into the frame (use large washers to hold the wire in place).

If you don't like a raised bed, or have an odd area to create the enclosure in, then you can dig a trench down, say 8", line with 1/2" hardware mesh held in place with gravel and build the enclosure from wood or cement blocks (staggered) or other stone.

Size? Make it as big as you have room for. 4'x8' is probably a minimum, and OK for a younger tortoise.

Plants: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp