Outdoor day pen

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
They look great outside!

I like to keep my outdoor pens HEAVILY planted. The only dirt area is around the perimeter and it's there from pacing along the walls. I also like to lets patches of the weeds grow really tall so they can burrow into the humid area at the base. I think it helps them stay smooth ;)

I'm hoping the grass takes off with frequent watering. The dirt/peat mix in the one side is on top of the grass because the area was incredibly uneven from pulling rocks out. I'm hoping the grass comes up through. Or weeds, is be happy with anything green lol.
I'm going to go get some grapevines as Tom suggested and we have already moved the mandevilla.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Trying to make sure they get plenty of sunshine since they do not have UVB inside anymore. I removed the mvb since it could have been contributing to the pyramiding that beans has.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I really think the indoor lighting makes an impact. Those bulbs are so desiccating!

Do you think the 65w flood bulb is still affecting him? They don't bask hardly at all and never have.
Temps throughout the enclosure are good and humidity has been great.

Elohi(Earth)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No, I use the 60 and 65 watt and don't have issues. I think the 100+ wattage bulbs contribute to that problem more. Although, I did have a problem arise from a 75watt CHE but that's another story....

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1398197710.472133.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1398197723.421058.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1398197739.753725.jpg
Slowly by surely.
It's 90F so I put the the mister on.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
90 f is that outside? Cause burr!!!!!!!! today in ontario today.
ps love your enclosure

Yeah and it felt hotter than that. It's about time too, we've had really freaky weather all through winter and so far this spring. Much cooler than usual.
I'm ready for steady heat!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1398225946.416416.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our daytime highs are similar but your nights are much warmer.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Our daytime highs are similar but your nights are much warmer.

Hey Tom, you suggested an addition water source. Should I get a second saucer or a larger saucer? It look small in there but it's big compared to the torts. Still working on grapevines. I've found an organic nursery that I need to check out.
Is the mister an ok option for hot days or is that too wet?

Elohi(Earth)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'd suggest an additional water source too.

I love to put the hose on a mist setting in the Leopard pen on warm/hot days. They love it, too!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with the comment about having the pen heavily planted. I think that may also help with the pyramiding possibilities. Try planting some seeds of things they like to eat like greens (such as turnip), or like a few bush vines (such as squash) and even various flowers. Especially with all the watering you need to do with seeds, it will help keep the humidity up. Gives the little ones more hides, thus a greater sense of security for the lil guys. The more you plant the less any one plant will more likely get nailed and greater variety to the diet. Even in a heavily planted enclosure, they will still be able to find spots with various levels of light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, you suggested an addition water source. Should I get a second saucer or a larger saucer? It look small in there but it's big compared to the torts. Still working on grapevines. I've found an organic nursery that I need to check out.
Is the mister an ok option for hot days or is that too wet?

The size water saucer that you have now looks just right to me. I'd add another of the same size.

I think the mister is fine on hot days. They have the option to move away from it.

Great tips from Jacqui on the planting. I've been using various squash plants for summer shade for a couple of years now and it is amazing for them.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
I know they can have hibiscus flowers what what about leaves?
My Sulcata used to literally climb up into the hibiscus to get at the leaves... of course now he weighs too much and he just pushes himself on top of a branch and strips the entire thing. It's funny because the top part of the plant is full and beautiful, but the bottom levels are basically barren.