My outdoor tortoise pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I renovated my tortoise pen last fall and reseeded it all with California native broadleaf weeds and wild flowers. Here it is a couple months ago. I have a couple rocks with a shallow depression that get dripped into twice a day for water, and I buried drip lines under the surface to allow the planted areas to be irrigated as needed. I will probably let the weeds dry out by mid-summer to simulate natural conditions. All 6 tortoises overwintered in the pen this year.
Winter
IMG_0275SB10-1.jpg

Here it is now.
IMG_0623SB10.jpg

Residents.
Trio of T. g. terrestris
IMG_2011-s-1.jpg

IMG_0758-s.jpg

IMG_0749-s.jpg

and a Trio of T. h boettgeri
IMG_0790-s.jpg

IMG_0778-s.jpg

IMG_7223-s.jpg

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Wow, awesome pen, lots of different terrain and things to explore! Your torts are lucky!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice looking pen

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love your pen. I'm wanting some Eastern's myself. Where are you and how and where did they overwinter? Do you have a shelter for them? Did they dig in? I'm curious because I'd like to leave mine outside year round too, but I'm checking with people who know more than me on the feasibility.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wonderful area for a tortoise! Wow you got all those seeds to grow quite fast. Excellent job! I find the reseeding to grow fast and starting fresh is always a chore.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Tom,
My Hermann's have hibernated here the past two years. They choose to dig down in the upper right corner of the pen picture. They dig down til soil covers them with about 2 inches above their carapace. It's heavier soil there then I would think is best, but they prefer it. It gets mucky wet all winter there, but no standing water due to the slope. I sculpted the whole pen to be a dry creekbed and its banks, so the water drains well, even with the heavy downpours we've had this winter. I am in Modesto, in the Central Valley. My average rainfall is about 12 inches, falling from November through May. It usually hits a low of 26-29 degrees a couple times a winter here. They came up this year in mid March.
Plants that provided themselves include filaree, malva, sowthistle, and burclover, and some others I can't identify. I seeded california poppies, baby blue bells, tidy tips, five spots, goldfields, and birds-eye gilia, and a few arroyo lupines.
Perrenials for food include california wild grape and california honeysuckles.
The pen is 3 years old, but I reshaped most of it to put in the dry creek last fall, seeded it with seeds ordered from Theodore Payne, and lots of rain this winter did the rest!
The big question I have is, if and when they start laying eggs, how will I ever find the nests?!?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
nice beeen, one day i will build a nice pen for my baby!

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Here are a couple more. . .
IMG_0085SB10.jpg

IMG_0084SB10.jpg

IMG_0268SB10.jpg

They all hibernate in the upper part of this picture.
IMG_0274SB10.jpg

IMG_0625SB10.jpg

IMG_0087SB10.jpg

Next to it is my box turtle pen.
IMG_0624SB10.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I’m sometimes jealous of the out door pens for some of the smaller torts. It does look very nice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
supremelysteve said:
Tom,
My Hermann's have hibernated here the past two years. They choose to dig down in the upper right corner of the pen picture. They dig down til soil covers them with about 2 inches above their carapace. It's heavier soil there then I would think is best, but they prefer it. It gets mucky wet all winter there, but no standing water due to the slope. I sculpted the whole pen to be a dry creekbed and its banks, so the water drains well, even with the heavy downpours we've had this winter. I am in Modesto, in the Central Valley. My average rainfall is about 12 inches, falling from November through May. It usually hits a low of 26-29 degrees a couple times a winter here. They came up this year in mid March.
Plants that provided themselves include filaree, malva, sowthistle, and burclover, and some others I can't identify. I seeded california poppies, baby blue bells, tidy tips, five spots, goldfields, and birds-eye gilia, and a few arroyo lupines.
Perrenials for food include california wild grape and california honeysuckles.
The pen is 3 years old, but I reshaped most of it to put in the dry creek last fall, seeded it with seeds ordered from Theodore Payne, and lots of rain this winter did the rest!
The big question I have is, if and when they start laying eggs, how will I ever find the nests?!?

Thanks for the info. Very similar climate to mine so it should work fine for me here. I think you get just a little more rainfall, but I supplement with well water falling from the sky. Haha. I get all the same weeds you listed, but you lost me with most of the other stuff. Now I'll just have to look those up. Good question on the eggs. Don't have the answer, but my sulcatas act a little different when they are about to lay and then I just start watching them all the time and look for any sign of disturbed dirt followed by a return to "normal" behavior. Mine tend to look for wetter areas of dirt, so on the downhill side of any slope. Good luck.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Fantastic pen. I find it funny that we all adore weeds when most people hate them. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.