Outdoor Closure Question

zoe98love

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Okay, I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it on any other threads in the forum.
Since the weather's starting to warm up here (southeastern Pennsylvania) I'm starting to plan my Russian's outdoor enclosure. He won't be out until June when the temps are up in the high 80s, low 90s, but I've gotten the seeds I want to plant (bought from Carolina Pet Supply) to get a head start.
So my question is this: what soil would be safe for my Russian to burrow in and for seeds to grow in? I know soil with fertilizers and nutrients is a big no-no. I was wondering what you guys with outdoor enclosures use?
Thanks for the help!

Longtabl

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Since you have more than three months, you can find a good organic topsoil used for seeding (our local Home Depot just started carrying one without additives, or a Geco True Value hardware supply store also has organic no additives soil). Put it outside till it into the area you want to seed and let the sun and nature take care of rendering it safe. Besides, weeds that torts like to eat generally don't require rich soil. I wouldn't bother unless all you have is clay.

A possible alternative I saw in another thread about enclosures: One enterprising member planted boxes that they could rotate out when their tortoise had grazed it all. A little like pasture rotation with cattle....but on a much smaller scale.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Grow your own organic compost. It drains well and is nutrient rich, excellent for seed starting and growing everything.