Our red foot tortoise is lazy alone but very aggressive when he sees Russians

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Their behavior is totally different from human. Today I just learned their mom abandoned them even before they become juveniles. That is probably why they are really cold blood
Their mom did not "abandon" them. Female tortoises lay their eggs and go away, knowing that it is just how it should be for them. By instinct, they just do what is natural for them and what gives them and the babies the best chance to survive and grow! It's not cruelty, it's their natural way, like our natural way is to stay with our babies. Baby tortoises do NOT need their parents. They are born ready to go on their way. They do not know, or need to know, their mother. Not like us. Totally different.

frenchsuite

Alabama
Their mom did not "abandon" them. Female tortoises lay their eggs and go away, knowing that it is just how it should be for them. By instinct, they just do what is natural for them and what gives them and the babies the best chance to survive and grow! It's not cruelty, it's their natural way, like our natural way is to stay with our babies. Baby tortoises do NOT need their parents. They are born ready to go on their way. They do not know, or need to know, their mother. Not like us. Totally different.
Yes 💯.
They are very different.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Even more interesting, that there are some species who protect their egg clutches. But they are still cold blooded. How they behave worked for them for many thousands years, perhaps we should learn something from them and not vice versa :)
Yes, female pythons like Ball Pythons, stay with their eggs until they hatch, because the eggs are not buried deep in the ground like tortoise eggs, I guess?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, female pythons like Ball Pythons, stay with their eggs until they hatch, because the eggs are not buried deep in the ground like tortoise eggs, I guess?
I was talking about Manouria Emys https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_forest_tortoise But yes, this specie don't bury eggs.

ChatGPT thinks that Gopher, Sulcata and Red-footed tortoises protect egg clutches. But I don't really trust it :)

frenchsuite

Alabama

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Already put the enclosures far away...Sad to know that they don't love each other.
You're not alone. As you settle in to this forum, you'll read stories from new members over and over that bought two tortoises. Or different species of tortoise so that the single tortoise won't be lonely.

It's hard for us mammals to think like a reptile.
The only friend your tortoise needs is you