Our new Redfoot, Rourke. (Pic heavy with some questions..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Campbell, Ca
Hello to everyone at the forum. In many of the things I've done in the past, I've gotten a lot of help form people through forums....hoping I will have good luck here as well!

My girlfriend and I recently adopted our first tortoise a little over two weeks ago now, a Redfoot male that I named Rourke. We got him from someone who had too many of them, (6-10) and hadn't been able to properly take care of them in quite some time. They were set up in a large tray that was loosely sprinkled with dry garden soil. There was a small water bowl in the corner that looked pretty fouled, but other than that there was no water source, and all the tortoises looked pretty dry (too dry, I thought..)

We brought him home and he hung out in the cardboard box he was presented in while i opened and spread the bag of Forest Floor in the 40 gal breeder reptile tank we set up for him. (I'm pretty sure it's a 40).
He really seemed to like walking around in the moistened mulch, and went straight for the water, soaking himself in both bowls..

He has been eating good and producing solid stools. Every time I walk by to look at him his feet and plastron are wet, so I think he's constantly trompin through the water dishes. They get changed every day. Sometimes twice a day.

I built some of the mulch up in one corner and set in a half broken pot, after I carefully filed the broken edges smooth as for him not to cut himself while digging.

I've been misting occasionally, enough to keep the mulch moist but not damp. I am unsure on how "wet" the tank should really be though?

Equipment..

-Zoo-Med Forest Floor

-I have an Exo-Terra under-tank heater going

-A polished sun dome with an Exo-Terra ReptiGlow 5.0 (26 watt) UVB (hanging about 12 inches off the surface of the substrate)

-Another ceramic-housing equipped hood hanging a few inches higher than the UVB, but all it has in it at the moment it a 60 watt home use lightbulb,
(I am mainly using it to put a small amount of heat directed at the top of his terracotta pot hideout)

-Exo-Terra water/soaking dishes

I have him on a diet of mixed greens (Romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, kale, collard greens, yellow squash, and zucchini) for 2 days, followed by a day of apples/bananas, 2 more days of the mixed greens, and the next 2 days I usually do a mix of fruit (apples/bananas/berrys) and crickets or butterworms.

My main concern is...

He seems to be trying to get under the household bulb, almost to "bask".. But I thought Redfoots mainly lived in the shade, and that if you see them trying to bask in direct unlight, it's because they are looking for warmth, not light.. The undertank heater keeps the tank floor and the inside of his hideout at a steady 76 degrees. and during the day when the UVB and the household bulb are on, the tank sits at about 81 degrees.
I am planning on removing the household bulb and replacing it with a ceramic heat emitter, and raising it much higher above the tank of course, to promote overall heat rather than a directed heat source... Does this sound about right?

He also has a small amount of what looks like shell rot...

Here he is the first day..
IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

And after a lil misting..
IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
You will have to wait on other members with the basking situation:)

Welcome to the forum! You will love it here everyone is very friendly!
The diet all sounds good to me, a great variety! And it sounds he is in much better care now!! The enclosure looks great!
Is your uvb light a coil one? I beloved those may harm a young tortoises eyes, mercury vapor bulbs seem to be the best for basking heat and uvb output,

Hang around though you will get better info from other members :D

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
Here are some pretty detailed (I hope) pictures of his plastron, and what I think is the shell rot. If it is I'm hoping it's not that bad? he's been here home with us for just a little over 2 weeks, and the damage on the shell has seemed to harden up a bit since he first got here, and it definately hasnt gotten any worse..

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

Especially that spot near his right-rear leg, you can see it well in the third picture.

Is this shell rot? and if it is, is that a bad case? I want to do whatever I can as soon as possible to clear it up, it bothers me that it even took this long for me to get on the forum and figure it out.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
I wanted to throw up a good pic of his carapace too. The majority of younger Redfoots I've seen seem to have a similar looking shell, but I really want to know whether this is healthy or not.

If this IS pyramiding, how bad is it? and is it something that with time and proper care, will go away? Will he eventually have the smooth shell that is usually the sign of a very healthy tortoise? Or am I wrong and is this normal?

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi MXRider 215:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Your new tortoise is slightly bumpy, but its nothing to be concerned about. He actually looks pretty good to me.

On those spots on the plastron, scrub them well with some chlorhexidine (surgical scrub you can buy at the pharmacy), rinse it off, dry it well then rub in some athlete's foot cream. Those spots don't look to bad either.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
Hey thank you both so much for the reply's... Glad to hear from someone that the Carapace isn't too bad. The spots on the bottom as well.. I figured it was shell rot, but I am glad that it's not as bad as I'm sure it could be.

My name is Bruce, I will have to add it into my signature...
Nice to meet everyone.
I am here in Campbell, Ca (South San Jose) Where I believe there is an awesome Turtle/Tortoise society that meets locally regularly. Haven't looked too far into it but me and my girlfriend are thinking we're gonna go sometime soon.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
Here is a vid of Rourke rompin in the front yard. The guy I got him from didn't take his tortoises outside, so I really have no idea how long it's been since this little guy got to roam around like this..

I let him run around on days when it's pretty warm, and for a couple hours at a time.. I like to kick it and watch him do his thing..

http://youtu.be/4isPk0I1WyQ

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
It looks like you guys are doing such a great job with him! He is very cute. (-:
And to answer your question from before, there really is no "cure" for pyramiding, but once you have them in proper conditions, the new growth will come in smooth. He will always be a little bumpy on top, but it shouldn't be bad.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
NudistApple said:
It looks like you guys are doing such a great job with him! He is very cute. (-:
And to answer your question from before, there really is no "cure" for pyramiding, but once you have them in proper conditions, the new growth will come in smooth. He will always be a little bumpy on top, but it shouldn't be bad.

Thank you very much.. We appreciate it.
He definitely seems to be moving around faster, he seems way more alert, and more curious about things as time goes on. He lets me rub the top of his head and even part of his neck now. But he always seems to pee when I'm holding him.

And about the pyramiding, that was about what I thought we were looking at. I'm just glad we caught him younger rather than later, when it could have gotten a lot worse.

There are still some there, at the place where I got him... I really want to go back and get another similar sized male to keep with him, but I don't think the tank I have is big enough for two of his size?

toydle**luv

5 Year Member
kansas
MXRider215 said:
Hey thank you both so much for the reply's... Glad to hear from someone that the Carapace isn't too bad. The spots on the bottom as well.. I figured it was shell rot, but I am glad that it's not as bad as I'm sure it could be.

My name is Bruce, I will have to add it into my signature...
Nice to meet everyone.
I am here in Campbell, Ca (South San Jose) Where I believe there is an awesome Turtle/Tortoise society that meets locally regularly. Haven't looked too far into it but me and my girlfriend are thinking we're gonna go sometime soon.

you will probably need a hotter bulb.. how hot is it in there? iv learned recently to make sure you get the humidity up with a spray bottle every day.. good luck!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
MXRider215 said:
My main concern is...

He seems to be trying to get under the household bulb, almost to "bask".. But I thought Redfoots mainly lived in the shade, and that if you see them trying to bask in direct unlight, it's because they are looking for warmth, not light.. The undertank heater keeps the tank floor and the inside of his hideout at a steady 76 degrees. and during the day when the UVB and the household bulb are on, the tank sits at about 81 degrees.
I am planning on removing the household bulb and replacing it with a ceramic heat emitter, and raising it much higher above the tank of course, to promote overall heat rather than a directed heat source... Does this sound about right?

Most tortoises spend most of their time hiding from strong sunlight. However, there is a long-standing misunderstanding that red-footed tortoises are a deep forest species that does not like light. This is very untrue. They are a savanna species- especially the southern types like 'cherry heads'.

Having said that, an overall temp of about 83-85 seems to be what they like the most, with a little lower at night and a little warmer in some area.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
Madkins007 said:
Most tortoises spend most of their time hiding from strong sunlight. However, there is a long-standing misunderstanding that red-footed tortoises are a deep forest species that does not like light. This is very untrue. They are a savanna species- especially the southern types like 'cherry heads'.

Having said that, an overall temp of about 83-85 seems to be what they like the most, with a little lower at night and a little warmer in some area.

Alright for sure.. That actually makes more sense.. Rourke's enclosure is sitting at about 81 during the day, around 85 directly under the lamp. I really need to get it warmer in there. I'm most likely going to add a ceramic heat emitter to his setup, it's that or another under-tank heater? But I think I'll get more heat out of a ceramic emitter bulb. Do a lot of you guys with Redfoots run these?

I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your replies, it is much appreciated!
You guys are awesome.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
MXRider215 said:
(snip)
But I think I'll get more heat out of a ceramic emitter bulb. Do a lot of you guys with Redfoots run these?

I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your replies, it is much appreciated!
You guys are awesome.

Yeah- ceramic heat emitters (CHE's) are pretty common around here.

I strongly recommend getting a large CHE and a thermostatic controller. The controller will let you 'set it and forget it' and do a decent job of maintaining your target temp. A larger CHE works better here since it will spend less time being on than a smaller one struggling to heat the area.

The controller I use is a cheapo ZooMed unit, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
Madkins007 said:
Yeah- ceramic heat emitters (CHE's) are pretty common around here.

I strongly recommend getting a large CHE and a thermostatic controller. The controller will let you 'set it and forget it' and do a decent job of maintaining your target temp. A larger CHE works better here since it will spend less time being on than a smaller one struggling to heat the area.

The controller I use is a cheapo ZooMed unit, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

I thought the zoo med temp controllers were pretty solid? What is a more industrial/professional/better built temp controller? Does Exo Terra make a good one?

MXRider215

5 Year Member
Campbell, Ca
The big apple unit looks legit. I did some research on the night time temp drop feature too.. Pretty cool. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with the zoo med unit in the short term.

Also.. How resistant are ceramic heat emitters to moisture? Or getting water on them from misting/things like that.. Do you Redfoot keepers have a lot of the CHE's in humid or wet conditions?

Thanks again for all the awesome responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.