My new RF refuses to drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I have searched tortoise forum and it seems my new to me Red Foot is the only one who does't drink. He is 4 inches, I've had him for a week and a half. He is eating. He loves dandelion greens, clover, spring mix and of course strawberry and babana. The fruit he has only had twice. I spray the greens with water. The temp is 85 at the warm end and gets to 75 at night. I have soaked him several times in warm water and he will not drink. So I floated clover in his water and put him in it, thinking he had to get some hydration that way. He did eat the floating clover. He doesn't move around his tank (36x18) very much so I take him outside for a "walk" during the heat of the day. We live in Maine.:( Maybe I worry too much. He does have a water dish but there isn't any forest floor drug into it so I don't think he sneeks a drink when I'm not looking. Suggestions?

Attachments

• Zebulon.jpg
    Zebulon.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 47

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: My new RT refuses to drink

I would not worry at this point....you are offering greens that are sprayed...it appears from your picture that you are providing some moisture/humidity for him....also, not all torts will walk into the water---but rather they will stick their head in the water while standing at the edge of the bowl....

I would do soaks once a day or every other day and your tort should be aok...also, they can change their behavior as they age..so your non self soaker may become a soaker as he ages....:D

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina

Thank you so much. I really do feel less stressed. He is eating well. I see more soaking in his future.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What sort of water bowl are you using? The pet store bowls are often too deep, steep, slippery and tall sided. If they aren't comfortable with their water dish they simply won't use it. I like to use terra cotta plant saucers.

BTW, RT usually stands for Russian tortoise and RF usually stands for redfoot. Your title threw me off a little.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

My experience with red foot is similar.
Mine will not drink freely from the water dish for long time then one day he started doing it. But only at very rare occasion he sticks his head inside and drinks compares to my other torts. But he also never soaks himself there.

I also agree with Tom, I experience the same thing with my other torts, you should use a shallow water dish, easy for your tort to reach and will encourage him to also walk inside it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
At this point, I would not worry too much about it. Your adding water to his greens and your soaking him. You have just gotten him and it may take him a little longer to get really comfortable. Like was said, be sure his water dish is something he "feels" safe with using.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I hate to admit but the water dish is from the pet store. It was in his enclosure before. I thought I was keeping him comfortable but apparently not. He just had his first meal of Mazuri. You all are RIGHT. Tort crack. Where did he put it all? 2 moistened nuggets and he ate almost all of it. He's only 4 inches!! And sorry for the typo, I did mean RF. I am concerned with how is he going to get enough exercise when we have feet of snow outside,(Maine). I plan on vacumning first then letting him have a romp in the living room. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.