Yoshiredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
Hello,

I am new on this site. Recently (beginning of November) I bought a redfoot. His name is Yoshi. I have been learning as much as I can about him. Recently he has been having trouble opening his eyes and isn't really eating ( not even strawberries--his favorite). I am concerned about him. I know he has recently had shell rot. I treated it with fungus cream and the providine-iodine--it looks like it is getting better. Because he had that I also recently put a USB humidifier in his tank which keeps the humidity around 60ish. I do keep it on as much as I can...Should it always be on? As for his enclosure I have Forest Floor Cypress mulch and sphagnum moss as a substrate in a 30(?) gallon tank. I have an aloe plant, a hideout, water and a food spot. Please give me all the advice you can :) If any pictures would help--I'd gladly put them (just didn't know what would be best)

Thank you!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
We would love to see pictures, it improves our ability to pinpoint issues and provide suggestions quickly.

How are you heating the enclosure? What are your night temperatures? Humidity at 60% is not detrimental but if you can get it to 70-75% your tort will thank you.

Pictures please!

Yoshiredfoot

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for responding!! Yoshi is very small, still a baby. He is probably only about 4-5 months old. I am heating with 100 watt uvb solar brite light.There is a warmer side and a cooler side. At night, it probably gets to 70. During the day it gets to about 80ish (but this is on the cooler side). Until I can get a cover I use a towel on top (which I know isn't ideal). I just added the plants today, trying to find more ways to add humidity. He eats kale, spring mix, carrots and strawberries usually. I try not to always give him strawberry. I also soak him at least 3x a week.

unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-2.jpg

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I'm not an expert, but heating seem to be the key, combined with high humidity. A ceramic heater bulb, CHE, is recommended since it can be on during the night. A water dish provides extra humidity and a place to drink and soak.
A plastic sheet instead of a towel to cover the enclosure might work... you can make a kind of tent.
A thermostat is needed to keep the right temp from the CHE. To keep the heat up, use more than one CHE, and none hotter than 100W. You can connect all the CHE's to the same thermostat.

As for food... when babies doesn't eat, warm soaks with baby carrot food have been recommended on this site many times. Warm soaks every day, not just a few times a week.

Try to get the heat up to 86-90 F, and keep it there until he eats... at least at 86F, might be too hot at 90. Humidity at dripping wet.

Those who know better than me will tell you more specifics, but this is what you can start with... I think. Good luck with Yoshi!

Yoshiredfoot

Milwaukee, WI
I'm not an expert, but heating seem to be the key, combined with high humidity. A ceramic heater bulb, CHE, is recommended since it can be on during the night. A water dish provides extra humidity and a place to drink and soak.
A plastic sheet instead of a towel to cover the enclosure might work... you can make a kind of tent.
A thermostat is needed to keep the right temp from the CHE. To keep the heat up, use more than one CHE, and none hotter than 100W. You can connect all the CHE's to the same thermostat.

As for food... when babies doesn't eat, warm soaks with baby carrot food have been recommended on this site many times. Warm soaks every day, not just a few times a week.

Try to get the heat up to 86-90 F, and keep it there until he eats... at least at 86F, might be too hot at 90. Humidity at dripping wet.

Those who know better than me will tell you more specifics, but this is what you can start with... I think. Good luck with Yoshi!
Thank you! This is very helpful, I will be doing these things! I did already change to a plexi glass cover and working on the other things as well

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thanks for responding!! Yoshi is very small, still a baby. He is probably only about 4-5 months old. I am heating with 100 watt uvb solar brite light.There is a warmer side and a cooler side. At night, it probably gets to 70. During the day it gets to about 80ish (but this is on the cooler side). Until I can get a cover I use a towel on top (which I know isn't ideal). I just added the plants today, trying to find more ways to add humidity. He eats kale, spring mix, carrots and strawberries usually. I try not to always give him strawberry. I also soak him at least 3x a week.

Just a quick note on the food - Kale is great for us but high in oxalates and should be fed sparingly to tortoises. Too much oxalates and lack of hydration can lead to stones. Carrots should be fed sparingly as well as strawberries. The thing about reptiles is that unlike mammals they cannot get rid of excess vitamins, etc. and can overdose, which is why we are wary of vets that try to give our tortoises vitamin shots. The key is variety.

I've used this website as a guide in the beginning, which I've found very helpful: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/#.Wj3mt9-nFPY
The best thing is that the moderation of foods are tortoise specific with explanations. Helped me get plants for the enclosure to find out what is safe as well.

Yoshiredfoot

Milwaukee, WI
Just a quick note on the food - Kale is great for us but high in oxalates and should be fed sparingly to tortoises. Too much oxalates and lack of hydration can lead to stones. Carrots should be fed sparingly as well as strawberries. The thing about reptiles is that unlike mammals they cannot get rid of excess vitamins, etc. and can overdose, which is why we are wary of vets that try to give our tortoises vitamin shots. The key is variety.

I've used this website as a guide in the beginning, which I've found very helpful: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/#.Wj3mt9-nFPY
The best thing is that the moderation of foods are tortoise specific with explanations. Helped me get plants for the enclosure to find out what is safe as well.

Thank you, did not know. Maybe that could be why he's sick? That's mostly what I fed him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises don't need a hot side/cool side. You should strive for 80-85F degrees the whole enclosure, day and night. For nighttime heat you can use a ceramic heat emitter:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg
I have never used moss like that as substrate. It looks like it would be pretty hard for a baby to walk on. I like something with more substance to it. A lot of folks on here use coco coir and some of us use fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch in a pinch.

Also, for babies, I use a clay plant saucer with small pebbles in the bottom for their water. This way they don't accidently tip over trying to climb the steep sides, and drown.

Have you had a chance to read about RF and YF tortoises in our Tortoise Library?

http://tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you, did not know. Maybe that could be why he's sick? That's mostly what I fed him.

I don't think that is why he is sick, but in the long run it will help to better his diet. Have you tried Mazuri tortoise diet?

Definitely get a CHE as indicated above. 70 is chilly at night for a little one.

Also, the temp/humidity readers you have are often inaccurate. I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

you can get them at Home Depot as well.

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
Try to increase humidity to the tank. You want it in the 70-80% range. We feed our yellow foot turnip greens, dandelions, clover, papaya and mango primarily. He does enjoy eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, bananas and apples on occasion.

Yoshiredfoot

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I would like to purchase the CHE light and work on humidity/change substrate. Unfortunately I took him to a vet yesterday and I think it did more bad than good. They did nothing for him as they wanted to charge $600. I am trying to soak him everyday and today he just stays in his shell and does not even come out. I am very worried. I try to keep him on the warm side and put food in front of it but all he does is stay inside his shell, eyes closed.

Yoshiredfoot

Milwaukee, WI
I don't think that is why he is sick, but in the long run it will help to better his diet. Have you tried Mazuri tortoise diet?

Definitely get a CHE as indicated above. 70 is chilly at night for a little one.

Also, the temp/humidity readers you have are often inaccurate. I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

you can get them at Home Depot as well.

Thanks for the link! I will most likely be purchasing that.

I have not tried the Mazuri diet. I have read some things and am curious, however right now he hasn't even been eating :(

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thanks for the link! I will most likely be purchasing that.

I have not tried the Mazuri diet. I have read some things and am curious, however right now he hasn't even been eating :(

Mazuri, especially the newer kind, has a lot of fiber that people like me need for their diet. I feed a lot of grocery store greens which for the most part lack fiber. I'd give it a shot. I mix the new mazuri with the old mazuri and my tortoise loves it - absolutely her favorite food.

Yoshiredfoot

Milwaukee, WI
Baby tortoises don't need a hot side/cool side. You should strive for 80-85F degrees the whole enclosure, day and night. For nighttime heat you can use a ceramic heat emitter:

View attachment 225869
I have never used moss like that as substrate. It looks like it would be pretty hard for a baby to walk on. I like something with more substance to it. A lot of folks on here use coco coir and some of us use fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch in a pinch.

Also, for babies, I use a clay plant saucer with small pebbles in the bottom for their water. This way they don't accidently tip over trying to climb the steep sides, and drown.

Have you had a chance to read about RF and YF tortoises in our Tortoise Library?

http://tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

Do you suggest I put the light towards the middle/change its position? Does it matter the wattage of the CHE?

Thanks for the link, it is super helpful