Our new pancake enclosure

jp07

5 Year Member
P1020695.JPG P1020695.JPG P1020693.JPGThought I would upload a few pics of our new pancake enclosure for our make and two girls. We have installed an Arcadia superzoo T5 unit. It produces a lot of heat and when combined with the basking spots keeping it cool is a real challenge.P1020694.JPG

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Oh wow! Are the pancakes able to get on those high spots? I heard that they were awesome climbers...

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Cool enclosure. Do you get the right temperatures in there with the tiles?
And it's is really big and I only see one animal :-D how many animals do you have?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW, that looks fantastic. I don't know much about Pancakes, but I wonder the same thing, can they get on the highest spots or don't you want them too? If they can, isn't there a big worry of them falling? Also, is there a dirt spot for egg laying?

jp07

5 Year Member
There are three in here, they do climb up and down, the basking spot is up there. We have an egg pit in there too, under cover to prevent drying out if they lay. They have only been in there for four days but are doing well.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I don't know about pancake tortoise but their place It looks like a pice of art.

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

jp07

5 Year Member
The corner builds were for the bearded dragons in previously, the pancakes hide in them but can climb them. We did try two collated uromastyx in there but they just got lost as they are one of the smaller species

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is a very beautiful enclosure. I don't know anything about pancake tortoises except they are very cool looking :) I was surprised that there's not more dirt in the enclosure. they must originate in an extremely rocky climate I'm assuming. How big is the enclosure?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a very beautiful enclosure. I don't know anything about pancake tortoises except they are very cool looking :) I was surprised that there's not more dirt in the enclosure. they must originate in an extremely rocky climate I'm assuming. How big is the enclosure?

http://www.nytts.org/proceedings/d-moll.htm

Generally these creatures are found in rocky hills and outcrops of the arid scrubs approximately 100 to 6000 feet above sea level. One can spot them in the dry savannahs or flat grasslands home to tropical and sub tropical areas. They are specifically familiar in hillsides characterized with rocky outcrops or kopjes of the arid scrub.

Pancake Tortoises are also observed to inhabit semi arid deserts with scarce vegetation.

http://www.arkive.org/pancake-tortoise/malacochersus-tornieri/image-G24747.html

http://chelonologist.wordpress.com/...amples-from-pancake-tortoises-in-east-africa/

:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you ascot for the info. I know nothing about those tortoises but they sure look neat, I can't believe they climb so well.maybe it's that low center of gravity. :)

jp07

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the feedback. Still playing with the heat spots as like I said the lighting units produce a lot of heat