Hatchling pancake tortoise enclosure

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
Hey,
I just wanted to post my pancake tortoise hatchling enclosure, i've got 2 similar enclosures around my garden that look the same. After the pancake tortoise eggs hatch in the ground or sometimes we collect some and put them in the incubator. We put them in these enclosures, the enclosure is split up, on the left it's for the juveniles because sometimes we have some leftover hatchling pancakes that haven't been bought or confiscated from smugglers. The rest of the enclosure which is the biggest part are for the hatchlings last year we did a record of 73 hatchling pancakes they were separated in 2 similar enclosures with the same size.

Right now we have only 3 hatchlings left the rest have been bought. You may see a sulcata tortoise it's there because my friend has hatched too much of them so he is giving them away i am building him an enclosure right now.The top of the enclosure is covered except for the grass and you can see that there is a little hill separating the grazing spot from the rest so the rest stays dry. I used to have plants in the middle such as hibiscus and cactus pads but i had to water them down and that would just increase the humidity in the dry area so it took them out. Show me your pancake tortoise hatchling enclosure or your adults or juvenile enclosure.

Can you sport the wild burmese pyhton spying on my tortoises

Legend:
rectangle: humid hide, I mist the plants down everyday and it gives the hatchlings a nice smooth shell believe or not even if they are a dry species of tortoise they love it
circle: basking spots, I have 2 basking spots i turn on when the sun is covered with clouds or when the temperatures get below 70 degrees.
the crosses: These are there grazing area there are some Bermuda grass which they don't seem to enjoy so much but they ate all the broadleaf weeds they eat these like there was no tomorrow.
triangle: The little burmese python spy.

thank you,

image4.JPG image4.JPG image3.JPG image3.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. But why would you have a python in with your little torts, won't he eat them or the eggs?

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I looked at the last photo as large as I could. This makes no since to me but I swear your Python looks line a Ball python not a Burmese Python. You are from Thailand not Africa right?

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
yes i live in Thailand @keepergale it's a burmese you can't see his face properly here but he has the triangular shape of the burmese python, i have ball pythons and the face is different.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
hey are pancake tortoises social and what are there care like I have no idea how to care for one but I might get some when I'm 16 I have one Russian tort and she's the best

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
hey are pancake tortoises social and what are there care like I have no idea how to care for one but I might get some when I'm 16 I have one Russian tort and she's the best
Not always. Some might be more social than other types of tortoises, especially Russians, but no guarantees. I would not consider them a beginner tortoise.

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
@awesomecs It depends on the locality of the pancake tortoises. I've got two different localities one of them is on the right my profile picture which is the biggest, they most of the time have some grey, light brown and sometimes they have some black markings. Those like to live in social groups. But the ones with more black in them and smaller then the big ones will less likely live in groups. If I look under a hide in one of the big pancake tortoise enclosure, I will see more then 5 of them cohabiting and the smaller local of pancakes i will only see 1 or 2. I must say a lot of people think that pancake tortoises are hard to keep but for me they are really easy to keep in captivity here are the different reasons:
-Don't get big but they do need a large enclosure as they are very active tortoises.
-They do not dehydrate as fast as other tortoises do.
-A lot of mistake people do is overfeeding this guys (I feed mine 1 every 5 days and the rest they graze on grasses and eat cactuses). They can develop pyramiding and it is very ugly on these tortoises. (i attached a photo) This makes u spend less time on the feeding but make sure that they can graze.
- They require the same heating as the other desert species.
-Whenever i feed mine i give them collard greens, spineless cactus, bok choy and mustard greens and lots of calcium.

If you want to get your first pancake tortoise i recommend an adult one because hatchlings do require more care and time and they don't have the fastest growth rate. I really hope u get one there interaction with humans is amazing they run to me each time they see me thinking i have food. Make sure the enclosure is "anti-climbing tortoise" because these guys are escape artists.

Hope this helps,

awesomecs

5 Year Member
@awesomecs It depends on the locality of the pancake tortoises. I've got two different localities one of them is on the right my profile picture which is the biggest, they most of the time have some grey, light brown and sometimes they have some black markings. Those like to live in social groups. But the ones with more black in them and smaller then the big ones will less likely live in groups. If I look under a hide in one of the big pancake tortoise enclosure, I will see more then 5 of them cohabiting and the smaller local of pancakes i will only see 1 or 2. I must say a lot of people think that pancake tortoises are hard to keep but for me they are really easy to keep in captivity here are the different reasons:
-Don't get big but they do need a large enclosure as they are very active tortoises.
-They do not dehydrate as fast as other tortoises do.
-A lot of mistake people do is overfeeding this guys (I feed mine 1 every 5 days and the rest they graze on grasses and eat cactuses). They can develop pyramiding and it is very ugly on these tortoises. (i attached a photo) This makes u spend less time on the feeding but make sure that they can graze.
- They require the same heating as the other desert species.
-Whenever i feed mine i give them collard greens, spineless cactus, bok choy and mustard greens and lots of calcium.

If you want to get your first pancake tortoise i recommend an adult one because hatchlings do require more care and time and they don't have the fastest growth rate. I really hope u get one there interaction with humans is amazing they run to me each time they see me thinking i have food. Make sure the enclosure is "anti-climbing tortoise" because these guys are escape artists.

Hope this helps,
THANKS man ill be 16 in 3 years PLENTY OF TIME thanks man