Our baby Marginated says 'Omnomnom!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
This is our baby Marginated tortoise, Buttercup. We have had her for a little over a month. She is eating, growing, exploring, and thriving. She spends most days outdoor in a special little enclosure I built her. She is 2.5" long (SCL), and weighs 68g. Marg6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Great picture. I'm wanting to add a marginated to my "herd". How is she personality wise compared to Greek and redfoot?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
They are supposed to be pretty friendly, and since the ones available are CB, they should be used to being handled. This little one hatched 30 mins from our house, and has spent the Summer outdoors. So she is adjusted to our climate really well (PNW).

They don't dig as much as e.g. Russian tortoises. Buttercup digs in under her log during the hottest hours of the afternoon, but otherwise, I can see her walking and climbing all around her enclosure. These guys will climb for fun, and have been known to get out of some pretty tortoise-proof setups.

They get quite a bit bigger than other similar species. I think up to 16" and 15lbs from what I've read (with some larger exceptions, and some runts). I feel like that is still a manageable size. Her Momma is 8 years old, and is large enough that I had to hold her with 2 hands when I got to meet her. Here's a pic of her:
Marginated Mom.jpg

Marginated tortoises are less territorial than Greeks - females can often live together peacefully, and even multiple males have been known to get along without bullying, as long as no females are around.

They are a little more prone to pyramiding than a lot of the other similar species. They drink a LOT - adults have been known to drain their soaking water, while peeing out the other end at the same time. They also like to have access to pure calcium powder, and will partake freely. If you swing over to the Marginated subforum, I posted some more pics, and in one of them she has a 'milk mustache' from licking up calcium.

I'm pretty thrilled to have gotten her... and the breeder has more eggies in the incubator!

zenoandthetortoise said:
Great picture. I'm wanting to add a marginated to my "herd". How is she personality wise compared to Greek and redfoot?

Last edited by a moderator:

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I was able to track down the additional pics- beautiful tort and looks very healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing the nursery set up. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the dietary needs, but not yet confident with temp and humidity needs of a hatchling. I'm looking forward to stealing ideas :)
Best of luck with Buttercup

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Beautiful tort photo!

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.