Introducing baby Buttercup! (lots of pics)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
We have had Buttercup for a little over a month now, and she is such a spunky little Marginated gal!
Marg1.JPG
I named her 'Buttercup' after my husband called her a 'margarine tortoise' - if she ever gets a boyfriend, we will call him Wesley ;)
Marg2.JPG
(I am fully aware that it is technically too early to tell whether she is female or male... she was temp sexed female, but we won't know for several years).
Marg3.JPG
Marg4.JPG
I got her from a private breeder here in our area, and he kept her for the first 9 months. He did a great job raising her - she is beautiful, healthy, and has only veeeeery minimal pyramiding.
Marg5.JPG
She hatched on Thanksgiving day 2012, so she is almsot a year old. She weighs 68g, and is gaining steadily (she was 60g a month ago). She is such a good little eater.
Marg6.JPG
I feed her the same home-grown mixture of dark leafy greens (both from my yard and my friend's yard) that my other tortoises do so well on. She is not picky at all, and I don't have to chop anything up.
Marg7.JPG
Buttercup is my first 'non rescue' tortoise, and it's kind of fun to start out with a healthy tortoise. She self-soaks (although I still soak her daily for 20 mins, since she is still so small), and she even helps herself to her cuttlebone or her little milk-bottle-cap of calcium powder!
Marg8.JPG
Here is a picture of her gorgeous Momma. The Mom was purchased as a captive bred hatchling 8 years ago. She is huge, and healthy. It was fun to get to meet her and see the set-up.
Marginated Mom.jpg
I will post pictures of the tortoise nursery in the next few days - I have 1 set up indoors, and 1 outdoors. She spends most days outside (with frequent mistings, and I move the enclosure around depending on where the sun is), and even some nights if it's warm. Her breeder did this, too, so she is accustomed to our climate.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome. I like the princess bride reference. great film. Margies are great tortoises.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ohhhhh, Katie! Darling tortoise and darling name. Especially from being what your husband said. LOL! A lucky tortoise to be with you, for sure. Yay! : )

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I LOVE the princess bride! It's one of those movies that if you stop it at any given point in time, I will be able to say the next line..

Beautiful little tortoise you have :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Thank you everyone! :) We just love her (well, mostly I do - the kids and the hubby are a little less tortoise crazy than I am). ;)

Time will show if the care I'm giving her will result in nice smooth growth - it should, in theory... there isn't much info on marginated tortoises, but going off of what is recommended for Greek babies seems to be working well. :) Humidity, good food, calcium and natural sunlight seem to be key.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
OK. This is the BIG sister. She(he?) is cute.