Our Aldabras, Bigfoot, Littlefoot and Meatball

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Where's the third one?
Both of those pictures are of the largest one. The other two were sleeping in their night box and by the time we made it up to weigh them it was pouring rain again.

This is a picture of the smallest of the three from a couple of days ago. For some reason our Aldabras don't seek out water to soak in but this one spent two full days in this spot.
redinwater.jpg

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
We've had our three Aldabras for three years now. We don't know their hatch dates but we estimate they hatched at the beginning of 2018 making them nearly 4 years old now.

9/28/2018 Weights
Bigfoot - 558g
Littlefoot - 382g
Meatball - 378g

9/26/2021 Weights
Bigfoot - 26.3kg
Littlefoot - 24.4kg
Meatball - 20.8kg

We are pretty happy with how they are turning out. They seem to have very stout and strong legs that appear to be in proportion to the rest of their body. The shell shapes are pretty good. Meatball (red dot) has a perfect shell but it has some scars on the plastron from fungus when it was very young. Littlefoot (yellow dot) has a nearly perfect shell. Bigfoot (blue dot) has a little bit of pyramiding but its only noticeable from certain angles.

They are always hungry but they still haven't learned to associate us with food and basically terrified of us. We are still waiting for the day they warm up to us.

I took a few new photos today after the weigh in.
View attachment 333581View attachment 333582View attachment 333583View attachment 333584View attachment 333585View attachment 333586View attachment 333587View attachment 333588View attachment 333589View attachment 333590View attachment 333591
Beautiful creatures.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Awesome tortoises!

Just curious, do they ever test that hog wire panel and try to go through it?
These guys spent their first 3 years or so in a series of enclosures with solid wood sides. They have been housed behind hog panels for around 2 years now. We had always assumed they needed to be kept behind wood, preferably solid wood fencing but after visiting two facilities that kept them behind wire fencing we gave it a try. They adapted to it quickly, they seem just intelligent enough to recognize they can't go through them.

I have yet to see them test the panels. The posts are on 8 foot centers which lets the panels flex out a bit if they did push. I have heard several stories of Aldabras being able to climb fences, both in corners and on straight sections. I do know of someone with aldabras behind hog panels that has had one climb out. His panels are set below ground and there was something for the aldabra to step on inside. We left our posts high enough to switch to cattle panels if the fence height becomes and issue in the future.
As far as strength goes, the hog panels are definitely strong enough to contain fully grown adult male galapagos and aldabras. The limiting factor is the likely post strength, not the hog panel.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
For some reason our Aldabras have decided they don't need to sleep in their night house anymore. Not sure what changed. Over the past couple of months they have been exploring further and further away from their night house. Sometimes they must not feel like walking all the way back (or they are lost) and they just bed down some place new.
The last couple of days they have been trying to sleep in a flooded area and it is way too cold for that. Moving these guys is a pain. Sometimes you can get them to walk back if you irritate them enough but it takes forever. Hopefully this is just a phase.

aldabras-in-the-dark.jpg

MaNaAk

Southend
Thanks! They don't seem to interact with one another much. The only time they really seem to react to one another is when its Mazuri day. Then its a rush to the feeding plate while they all try to climb on top of the food pile and hiss at each other.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Jacky and Daisy (Spur-thighed Tortoises) were in this family for seventy-two years until Daisy's death last year. They got on very well and interacted even more when strawberries and dandelions were given. They were so interactive that I had to separate them at these times.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Thanks! They don't seem to interact with one another much. The only time they really seem to react to one another is when its Mazuri day. Then its a rush to the feeding plate while they all try to climb on top of the food pile and hiss at each other.
🤣

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Absolutely gorgeous! At what age are they fully grown?

Natrah
I don't know if they ever completely stop growing, the rate just slows considerably as they age. I think we are just about through the rapid growth phase that takes place during the first 5 years or so.