WEIGHING LARGE ALDABRAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
A good weight on any tortoise is important for several reasons. Aldabras are no exception. One frequent and common question we get is how do we get good weights on our aldabras. There are many scales that can easily weight most tortoises under one hundred pounds accurately. What has proven to work for us with heavier tortoises is hanging scales. We use a crane scale for the large males (250+ pounds) and a game or luggage scale for our smaller tortoises, anything under 250 pounds. We attach the scale to a strong weight bearing beam and use a winch and slings to safely raise the tortoise clear of the ground. We do this on routine basis and works very well for us. We prefer not to transport our tortoise off site if possible in order to minimize stress.

* This is one of the scales we use for the larger tortoises. (250+ pounds)

2w3z1hy.jpg

* This is a new one that we are going to use for the smaller females. (under 250 pounds)

2ut41tt.jpg

* This has been a very reliable and safe manual lift.

34s5rnd.jpg

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I thought that's how you weighed them. Goodness I didn't realize they weighed so much. They are so cute..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need pictures of the next time you weigh one of the larger ones. That would be so cool to see.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
We need pictures of the next time you weigh one of the larger ones. That would be so cool to see.

* We weighed Alfa two weeks ago in order to get a good current weight for our deworming process and my current heavy scale indicated he was over seven hundred pounds. We think the scale is not working properly. I ordered a new better crane scale, it should arrive any day. When we weight them we use three people to safely go thru the process. Two people on each end of the tortoise, kinda like a spotter when lifting heavy weights, and a third to control the lift and read the scale. Hard to take actual pictures when we do this, usually all three are focussed on the event. We try to go as fast and smooth as possible in order to avoid stress. I will try!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You need a forth person, a photographer. That should do it.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
700lbs! I almost just spit my drink out, that is impressive! Whats the heaviest ever recorded?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Can you please upload picture when you weighing Alpha? Should be very interesting to see. Thanks :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Greg ....great post and I can only imagine weighing or simply trying to round up one of those beasts~:D
I myself use the same type of scale once they out grow the triple beam .

JD~:)

ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:
You need a forth person, a photographer.

* That is a great recommendation, I will try!

I know someone who's not too bad with the camera....:p;)
Now if we could just shrink the 3,000 miles......:rolleyes:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
N2TORTS said:
Greg ....great post and I can only imagine weighing or simply trying to round up one of those beasts
I myself use the same type of scale once they out grow the triple beam .

JD~

ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:
You need a forth person, a photographer.

* That is a great recommendation, I will try!

I know someone who's not too bad with the camera....
Now if we could just shrink the 3,000 miles......
* That would be great!

~ JD, do you find the scale to be accurate within reasonable margins?

n6yuyr.jpg

Yellow Turtle said:
Can you please upload picture when you weighing Alpha? Should be very interesting to see.

* I will try. The challenge is getting a fourth person to take pictures.........JD is just far away!

jtrux said:
700lbs! I almost just spit my drink out, that is impressive! Whats the heaviest ever recorded?

* We do not think he is that heavy. I have a new crane scale on the way in order to get a second weight.

* I do not know the world record.

TortieLuver said:
Wow what a great workout

* actually not bad at all, it is all in the leverage!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Of course .... my animals are not even close to your giants.. but for the RFs and cherries ...anything up and over 5 pounds the scale seems pretty accurate.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
N2TORTS said:
Of course .... my animals are not even close to your giants.. but for the RFs and cherries ...anything up and over 5 pounds the scale seems pretty accurate.

* Thank you, we find the same thing. Sometimes we will weigh one twice for a second opinion. This scale has proven very dependable and reliable for us as well. I get this particular scale at Tractor Supply for around $50.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I would love to help taking pictures too. Just need 23 hours flight to arrive there :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Where can I get a scale for my tort's? (a adult female Russian and a baby Leopard)

* Any feed or farm store should have one. Hardware stores. I have gotten several from Northern Tool & Equipment and Tractor Supply.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
SW Florida...hmm...like Tampa? I live in Florida, but I'm not much of a photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.