Otto's New Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Okay so after starting with a 10 gallon tank, and moving to a 35 gallon rubbermaid, I have finally built this 3.5x4 Wooden enclosure for my 1 year old Sulcata, Otto. Here it is:

uLCy7.jpg

I will be replacing the Light in the bottom left for a CHE when it comes in the mail. The environmentally friendly insulated rubber I used to line I have left long at one end to roll over the screen to help keep heat/humidity inside the enclosure.

And feedback or improvements, please let me know!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is that sand? hard to tell...
the screen might be blocking any benefit from the lights.. except some heat..
He might try climbing the plastic too. can you tighten it against the wood more?

Scawtey

5 Year Member
It's coconut fiber substrate. I have to get more today after work and was waiting to tighten it all until I have the bedding set, so I will be doing that tonight. You're right, all he has tried to do is climb out :p

Also about the lights, What would you recommend? It's a normal screen right now, so would Chicken wire or something be better, since it has larger holes?

Or a better idea, the basking light is getting through because my temps are okay where it's at. But for my UVB light, would it work if I just cut a hole in the screen the size of the light so there was nothing to interfere with the waves getting into the enclosure?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Yes, you can just cutout the screen where the uv light is if you want to do that. You can also make the top out of chicken wire, or Hardware cloth. You can get either from a home improvement or hardware store.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Alright, I have added cyprus mulch with the coconut fiber substrate to fill out the bottom. I also cut holes for the UBV light so it's directly on top of the enclosure, and fixed the edges of the plastic underneath it so there's no walls for him to climb. He seems to love his new enclosure :]

Status
Not open for further replies.