Rubbermaid? Or table

Luis Taveras0

I'm trying to decide between a 50 i gallon rubbermaid tub as the new indoor enclosure or a wooden table my mother thinks the the wooden table is better because it can hold down the humidity. which is better?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most tortoises need a high humidity and that's where tables are not so great.
What kind of tortoise and how big? One 50 gal tub is really only good for a one year old or less, depending on the torts size. However, the totes can be combined to make a bigger enclosure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Box turtles like lots of moist, boggy areas. Id opt for the rubbermaid, maybe two joined on a slant. You can make one a lot more moist, even wet, and the other level one a little less.

Get creative...."think like a box turtle" .... Research where and how they live in the wild. Ferns, bogs, wooded areas where streams start...etc

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hey Luis - I've never tried a wooden table but I like my 50 gallon Rubbermaid tubs with a light stand and a mercury vapor bulb hanging over the top providing heat and uvb. Box turtles need a lot of moisture and humidity so I would be concerned about the wood molding or rotting unless you had it covered with a liner. Even then it would need to be a substantial liner as box turtles like to dig and good sized ones have sharp claws that could possibly cut into a thin liner. Are you thinking of moving your hatchling out of the aquarium?

Luis Taveras0

Hey Luis - I've never tried a wooden table but I like my 50 gallon Rubbermaid tubs with a light stand and a mercury vapor bulb hanging over the top providing heat and uvb. Box turtles need a lot of moisture and humidity so I would be concerned about the wood molding or rotting unless you had it covered with a liner. Even then it would need to be a substantial liner as box turtles like to dig and good sized ones have sharp claws that could possibly cut into a thin liner. Are you thinking of moving your hatchling out of the aquarium?
Yeah I'm trying to move him out of there it's not gonna last long after a while so might as well upgrade now

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If it is a hatchling than a Rubbermaid bin would work great. If it's bigger think about a stock tank. They have the plastic-ish ones, I wouldn't use metal, and they work really well. That's what I used for my box turtle. Then I put a little frame over it and covered it with a clear plastic shower curtain. The sides were 20 inches tall so I could make all kinds of terrain and include a little pond. But that depends on what kind of box turtle you have and how much water they like. But that is an option.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I would go with a wooden box..how big will your tort get? If you have the space...build a 6x3 or 8x4 enclosure if you have the space..if tou go this route...to trap and maintsin the high temps and hunidity...you can get a plastic mini greenhouse from walmart....they have it up 6x3 or bigger...but those will be taller..looking like a shed ..