Oso New New Indoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
OKay so, I noticed that Oso's Humid hide was starting to mold, I was using a one of the tree things you get a Petsmart. Since I had to get him a new Humid Hide I decided to go ahead and change out his substrate and redo his enclosure. What do you guys think?

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0631.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks nice, is oso enjoying the grape leaves?

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
dmmj said:

Yes, he is! Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make the substrate hotter in the humid hide, I have really good humidity but my substrate feels cold when I touch it in there. Do any of you guys put a heating pad under ur substrate? If so will it work on Oso enclosure since it is plastic but really thick plastic? His enclosure is like a plastic pond you put in your back yard.
Also will the heating pad on the plastic start a fire?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
AshleyJones said:
dmmj said:

Yes, he is! Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make the substrate hotter in the humid hide, I have really good humidity but my substrate feels cold when I touch it in there. Do any of you guys put a heating pad under ur substrate? If so will it work on Oso enclosure since it is plastic but really thick plastic? His enclosure is like a plastic pond you put in your back yard.
Also will the heating pad on the plastic start a fire?

I have a heatpad between two 12 inch tiles with my hide on top it work good I was worried about the same thing:cool:

LindaF

5 Year Member
Just one little suggestion if you don't mind. Cover the hide with substrate. It will make him think he is hiding under ground and feel more secure since the plastic is see thru.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have a CHE directly above my humid hide and the bottom of the hide always has wet sphagnum moss in it. This keeps the hide hot & humid!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
A good idea, or you can get some flat spray paint, and paint the outside.
LindaF said:
Just one little suggestion if you don't mind. Cover the hide with substrate. It will make him think he is hiding under ground and feel more secure since the plastic is see thru.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks great to me.

Don't go by "feel". Get a temp probe or a temp gun and check the actual temp in there. You might not need to do anything. And yes a heat pad under that tub could possibly melt it or start a fire.

I found black (and other opaque colors) dishwashing tubs at Walmart for around $2. I just cut a door out and set them upside down in the enclosures. With all the moisture, I had no luck using paint or black tape on my clear plastic tubs.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Tom said:
Looks great to me.

Don't go by "feel". Get a temp probe or a temp gun and check the actual temp in there. You might not need to do anything. And yes a heat pad under that tub could possibly melt it or start a fire.

I found black (and other opaque colors) dishwashing tubs at Walmart for around $2. I just cut a door out and set them upside down in the enclosures. With all the moisture, I had no luck using paint or black tape on my clear plastic tubs.

I was trying to find a tub that was something besides clear but all I found were really big ones, I will go look at walmart today and see if I can find a dishwashing tub. Thank you everyone!
Tom, I used a temp probe in the hide and it says the moss is 84, is that where it should be? Also on the cool side by the grass the mulch is 77.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
AshleyJones said:
Tom said:
Looks great to me.

I was trying to find a tub that was something besides clear but all I found were really big ones, I will go look at walmart today and see if I can find a dishwashing tub. Thank you everyone!
Tom, I used a temp probe in the hide and it says the moss is 84, is that where it should be? Also on the cool side by the grass the mulch is 77.

Those temps sound great to me. Just make sure it stays that way at night and when winter comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.