Ornate or eastern box turtle?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
I bought them from backwater reptiles. They only sell ornates and easterns on their website. Last year the turtle source had a sale on their ornate hatchlings. When I went to order them they were sold out. Along with every other website I looked up. Backwater reptiles had ornate and eastern hatchlings on sale. Unfortunately I ignored the bad reviews and bought them anyway. I won't make that mistake again. It's been a learning experience for sure.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The big one looks gulf Coast and the little one looks 3 toed I think.

Grapes

The smaller of the 2 is a eastern box turtle. That's exactly what mine looked like when it was a hatchling. Now it has a nice pattern showing over the carapace. The yellowish dots are seen in eastern box hatchlings. The plastron is a solid tan color. I'm not sure about the other one.

Grapes

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454183741.560675.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454183761.060893.jpg

The one with spots is mine the other is my buddies they are both eastern box turtles. Mine has grown really well and always been a good eater his is still the same size and doesn't eat for him very well. We've had them for about 9 months now. My hatchling is double the size of his. They seem to be hit or miss with eating. Mine eats so well I can wiggle a meal worm in his face and he'll snatch out of my fingers.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
View attachment 163887View attachment 163888

The one with spots is mine the other is my buddies they are both eastern box turtles. Mine has grown really well and always been a good eater his is still the same size and doesn't eat for him very well. We've had them for about 9 months now. My hatchling is double the size of his. They seem to be hit or miss with eating. Mine eats so well I can wiggle a meal worm in his face and he'll snatch out of my fingers.
The yellow spots are pretty much exactly the same. Only difference is my carpace is a grey olive color. As for the bigger one of mine I'm 100% sure it's a gulf coast. Makes me a little angry I spent much more for a ornate. I didn't want to send them back so I just bit the bullet.

Grapes

Yeah the breeder I got mine from told me the one with spots will most likely have orange spots. The other one is yellow. I got them from a breeder on the forum. I haven't ordered anything online before but I'm weary of it heard a lot of bad reviews.