Ornate or eastern box turtle?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
I am wondering what species of box turtle these two hatchlings are.? I bought ornates but think I was sent easterns. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452223054.277468.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
actually they don't look like either species to me.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
That's what I thought too. Of course the site I bought them from never returned emails and they didn't have a phone number to call. I ordered them a year ago and gave up trying to get ahold of them. I thought as they grew I would be able to tell better for sure what they are but in this past year they haven't grown at all. Here's a picture when they were sent to me one year ago. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452227475.244056.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452227511.175450.jpg

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
they haven't grown? Are they eating well? Are they the same age?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
They have never eaten well. It took about a month to get them to eat and only red wiggler worms, everything else they don't touch. The bigger one has ate a meal worm once. When they do eat it's one worm a week and usually only half the worm. There is a dozen or more worms in their peat moss substrate. They might hunt them down at night I don't know. They have never been active always hiding and sleeping. Other than all that they appear healthy visually. Oh and I shouldn't say they hasn't grown at all there is visual growth rings. The bigger one has grown a quarter inch and the smaller one a eighth inch

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
even though box turtles are omnivores at that age they tend to be more carnivorous. Have you tried red wigglers. have you tried different fruits and vegetables? lean dog food? Are they eating greens?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Red wigglers are all I could get them to eat. I tried blackberries, strawberries, and bananas. Mazuri tortoise diet, romaine lettuce and wet dog food hoping the smell would attract them. I'm thinking they aren't staying humid enough. I don't use a heat lamp just a uv bulb. I'm getting rid of their open enclosure and ordered a greenhouse off amazon hoping that might stay humid enough for them. Here's what the enclosure they are in looks like and the new one in the mail from Amazon. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452229823.199410.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452229880.159665.jpg

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
with no heat light I'm thinking they're not warm enough. Do you have your temperature measured for them?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Temp inside my house is 72. The substrate is measuring 70 on my temp. Gun. There is a light bulb like this six inches over head that puts off a little heat during the day time. Not sure of the temperature under the bulb. What is a good basking temperature? I was under the impression low 80s was a good basking temp. I will try a hotter bulb if need be that's no problem. Thank you. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452230983.258952.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Those purple/black bulbs are what I use for heat for boxies. You need a temp gun, and I keep the basking spot around 90. The rest of the enclosure ranges through out the 70s.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For sure they're NOT ornata. They usually look like this:

Ornate-box-turtle-T-o-ornata-hatchling.jpg

I don't think they're eastern either, but they could be. Is the plastron mainly dark, or is it light tan?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Red wigglers are all I could get them to eat. I tried blackberries, strawberries, and bananas. Mazuri tortoise diet, romaine lettuce and wet dog food hoping the smell would attract them. I'm thinking they aren't staying humid enough. I don't use a heat lamp just a uv bulb. I'm getting rid of their open enclosure and ordered a greenhouse off amazon hoping that might stay humid enough for them. Here's what the enclosure they are in looks like and the new one in the mail from Amazon. View attachment 161445View attachment 161446
I like the enclosure they are in. I would have just found a way to cover it. I usually use clear shower curtains or plastic sheeting.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Thank you Lisa. That is the conditions the enclosure is in. Low 70s around and 90 under the bulb. I checked the temp with a heat gun this morning. I can get the enclosure covered pretty easy I think. Thanks for the advice.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Thanks Yvonne. That's what I thought too. I thought maybe as they got older the spots would appear. They haven't. The plastron is tan with black markings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks Yvonne. That's what I thought too. I thought maybe as they got older the spots would appear. They haven't. The plastron is tan with black markings.

Then it might be an eastern, or even a gulf coast. I guess we'll have to wait until he's older to know for sure.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The bigger one looks like it could be gulf coast.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
When I get home I will take a picture of their plastron. Now I'm thinking it is light tan with no black markings. My leopards have black markings I think I'm picturing theirs.