ornate box turtle will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammary1199

5 Year Member
Hi, I am new to this group. We just got an Ornate box turtle. We have him in a large container with orchid mulch over sand as a substrate. He has a shallow pool of water, plants and a dish for food. We have not seen him eat since we got him. Have tried mixed veggies, carrots, bananas, romaine, reptile sticks and a small amount of canned dog food. I also put the reptomin in the water. Any suggestions? I do not want him to starve. Also, what about lighting?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
I have one of those too! Mine is sooo picky. How old is yours and how big? Mine will eat garden bugs, rolly polly, snails, worms and meal worms are by far his favorite. He turns his nose up at any and all fruit or greens or mushrooms. I am sure someone else will add to the list! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi iammary1199:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name "Mary?" And may we know where you are?

Your box turtle will probably be more interested in eating something that wiggles.

I took in a small eastern box turtle that had been chewed by a dog. She was in the house in a hospital tank for about 2 months while her wounds healed, then I put her outside in a small habitat with baby box turtles. In all that time, she never ate for me. I soaked her every other day in Gerber strained carrots or sweet potatoes or squash, but she never ate. A couple days ago I was dropping worms in front of each little baby box turtle and I dropped one in front of this little Eastern. Wow! She finally ate!!

So, don't be discouraged if your new turtle doesn't eat right away. They can go for a long time without eating. But eventually, something you give her is going to peak her interest. Buy some night crawlers. They're big and wiggly. I'll bet she'll cave in.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome..
If there isnt 14 hours of light and warm temps, your boxie will try to go to sleep..
Do you know the history of where it came from and what they fed it?
A good warm water soak would be a good start.

iammary1199

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
I have one of those too! Mine is sooo picky. How old is yours and how big? Mine will eat garden bugs, rolly polly, snails, worms and meal worms are by far his favorite. He turns his nose up at any and all fruit or greens or mushrooms. I am sure someone else will add to the list! :D

-Thank you, I will try more live food. I have to dig up earthworms for my tiger salamander so I will also try with the turtle. I really love him, he has such a great personality.

iammary1199

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:

We just got him. He is sooo cute and has a great personality. He is about 4 inches across. the girl that we got him from did not know much about him. They were just giving him reptomin sticks on a plate and they said that he was eating them, but I don't think that he was. I am going to try some live worms. What about a light to give him more warmth? I live in Hawaii, but it gets kinda cool at nite. Which bulb will give him some warmth?

iammary1199

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi iammary1199:

Your box turtle will probably be more interested in eating something that wiggles.

I took in a small eastern box turtle that had been chewed by a dog. She was in the house in a hospital tank for about 2 months while her wounds healed, then I put her outside in a small habitat with baby box turtles. In all that time, she never ate for me. I soaked her every other day in Gerber strained carrots or sweet potatoes or squash, but she never ate. A couple days ago I was dropping worms in front of each little baby box turtle and I dropped one in front of this little Eastern. Wow! She finally ate!!

So, don't be discouraged if your new turtle doesn't eat right away. They can go for a long time without eating. But eventually, something you give her is going to peak her interest. Buy some night crawlers. They're big and wiggly. I'll bet she'll cave in.
Hi, yes my name is Mary. I live in Hawaii. It is warm here, but at nite it can get kinda cool. I am going to get him some live worms, I have to dig them up for my tiger salamander. He has such a cute personality. I want to get him a light. Which bulb will give him some warmth?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I hope you will be showing us pictures of your Ornate. They are I think the easiest of the box turtles to keep, hopefully soon yours will start eating and become an easy keeper for you. :cool: Glad your here!:tort:

M

Maggie Cummings

If you just need heat at night buy a black light bulb. If you need UVB or day heat get a MVB

iammary1199

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome! I hope you will be showing us pictures of your Ornate. They are I think the easiest of the box turtles to keep, hopefully soon yours will start eating and become an easy keeper for you. :cool: Glad your here!:tort:

I am happy to hear that. I finally got mine to eat some worms. Yea!

iammary1199

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Thank you, this is going to be a lot of help.

emysemys said:
Hi iammary1199:

Hi, just went and bought a new shovel. thank you, he does eat worms. I am so excited to see him eat. today, he also devoured a big roach. We have a lot of screens here and they tend to get inside sometimes. Now I know what to do with them. He seemed to love it. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.