Organic Produce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Hello,
Henry hasn't been too interested in his food lately, so I'm trying to add some variety to his diet. Trouble is, I can only find limited organic produce right now. When I find more exotic food he might like, it is rarely organic. How important is it for his fresh food to be organic?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
I only eat organic myself and I drive about 50 minutes away to an organic market if I have to but I actually don't think non organic would kill them. My marginated was in great health and beautiful and he wasn't fed organic by his previous owner. :tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would say organic is the way to go....remember, pesticides--herbicides---fertilizers are all just a few of the harmful things that are purposely added to foods --simply to get a better profit for the grower and not too much concern for the consumers health in mind----you being the consumer and the food train for your critters...

I am simply sharing my beliefs and in no way am trying to tell you what to do----but uh, DON'T DOOOOO ITTTTT (ok, so still trying to be subtle here :p)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
ascott said:
I would say organic is the way to go....remember, pesticides--herbicides---fertilizers are all just a few of the harmful things that are purposely added to foods --simply to get a better profit for the grower and not too much concern for the consumers health in mind----you being the consumer and the food train for your critters...

I am simply sharing my beliefs and in no way am trying to tell you what to do----but uh, DON'T DOOOOO ITTTTT (ok, so still trying to be subtle here :p)

We could trade conspiracy theories sometime. I am anti non organic and anything GMO. :p So I agree.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Well, I eat all organic myself. I would love to extend this to my animals, but that would be way to much money. I just settle with rinsing it well....
Butt I've moved to a property with 3 acres of room...Lets just say soon I won't have to buy food :).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We could trade conspiracy theories sometime.

Yes, sounds good :D

Well, I eat all organic myself. I would love to extend this to my animals, but that would be way to much money. I just settle with rinsing it well....
Butt I've moved to a property with 3 acres of room...Lets just say soon I won't have to buy food :).

You know, when they add all of the bad stuff, it becomes systemically part of the entire plant--so rinsing really is only an attempt at trying to make ourselves feel better :D but I believe you deep down already know that ;)

I send you well wishes on your growing fields of glorious "free from" foods....awesome for sure.

I am so going to start my own larger growing field here--problem is that the moment I plant any real growing rows--it is like a bullhorn to all of the gophers located in the high desert that are within 20 miles ....I will figure a way to satisfy both issues though....lol

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
ascott said:

You know, when they add all of the bad stuff, it becomes systemically part of the entire plant--so rinsing really is only an attempt at trying to make ourselves feel better :D but I believe you deep down already know that ;)

I send you well wishes on your growing fields of glorious "free from" foods....awesome for sure.

I am so going to start my own larger growing field here--problem is that the moment I plant any real growing rows--it is like a bullhorn to all of the gophers located in the high desert that are within 20 miles ....I will figure a way to satisfy both issues though....lol

I set up a hydroponics set up here. I am pretty sure the dea is going to kick in my door soon and then be like oh... those are your veggies and stuff :p I just recently started it but it's going well even in Michigan mid winter, and I don't have to worry about varmits and such. I will grow more outdoors in the summer. I also have an avocado tree. :p

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
ascott said:

Yeah, I sadly know its already grown into the leaves. Washing is still good however, because the pesticide that are sprayed still leave a residue on the outside, and it eliminates anything else undesirable on the leaves.
Now I'm up here, everyones pens are going to be planted with grazing items (plantain, chicory, dandelion, etc.) and I'm going to grow a lot of greens in raised beds, and several varieties of fruit trees (mulberry, mango, papaya, peach, fig, and kiwi are all the ones I'm going to get eventually).
Like I said, I would have loved to already fed them organic produce, but its practically twice the price at any stores around here, and my torts eat so much :(. I'd be spending something like...$50-60+ a week. No joke...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Like I said, I would have loved to already fed them organic produce, but its practically twice the price at any stores around here, and my torts eat so much . I'd be spending something like...$50-60+ a week. No joke...

I know ....that is part of the overall plan --make it hard to sell on a large basis and make it too expensive....I know, I feel your pain...I totally understand ;)

I am pretty sure the dea is going to kick in my door soon and then be like oh... those are your veggies

Seriously, right?

Jenncure

5 Year Member
I still plan to buy most of his food organic. I just hate to say no when I see turnip greens or something else I know he will like that's only available non-organic at the store.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I would assume that non organic must be better than starvation but I do try to find organic first...Found a good spring mix that Eloise seems to enjoy but her fav is collard green stems (well so far) I will be introducing dandelions as soon as I can grow them.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I feed my torts from my own garden and from my nature-walk-collections (only in non-sprayed areas) during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. During the 2 months of winter when I have to buy greens for them, I do part organic, part regular. I have to admit that I don't buy all organic for my family, so I don't feel like I can justify buying all-organic for the tortoises.
I do wash everything well, and again, this is only 2 months out of the year.

Eloise said:
I would assume that non organic must be better than starvation but I do try to find organic first...Found a good spring mix that Eloise seems to enjoy but her fav is collard green stems (well so far) I will be introducing dandelions as soon as I can grow them.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I keep a garden year round so greens are never an issue here. You can always grow plants indoors..

Status
Not open for further replies.