Non-organic fresh pumpkin okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Hello,
Given the season availability of fresh pumpkins, I'd like to buy some to cut up, freeze, and use as treats for my Russian Henry. My question is, is it okay to feed non-organic fresh pumpkins? I haven't even seen any organic versions available - do they even exist?
Thanks!
:tort:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If you wash off the outside of the pumpkin well beforehand, you should be ok. Pumpkins usually aren't treated with a lot of junk, because they are pretty hardy on their own.

This year my friend had a bunch of volunteers grow out of her compost pile, and I had a few volunteers, too. They seem to be weird hybrids, so who knows if they taste good, but I'm saving them for the torts.

I don't feed my tortoises all-organic in the winter (during the rest of the year I grow or pick food for them myself). My family doesn't eat all organic, so I don't see the logic in getting all-organic for the animals. However, I do stay away from the heavily-treated foods, and I try to buy local and seasonal as far as possible.

Jenncure said:
Hello,
Given the season availability of fresh pumpkins, I'd like to buy some to cut up, freeze, and use as treats for my Russian Henry. My question is, is it okay to feed non-organic fresh pumpkins? I haven't even seen any organic versions available - do they even exist?
Thanks!
:tort:

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Thanks biochem. As usual, your response was logical and well-informed :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Awww, thank you, @Jenncure. :)

I should add that you might not even have to freeze if you find winter squash (like e.g. acorn squash or delicata etc. on sale). I store those in the garage all winter, and feed both my human family and the tortoise kids from our stash. :) They keep quite well, just don't pile them on top of each other, in case one starts going bad. Our local produce store has them for 59c per lb right now. I'm waiting for them to go down to 39c.

Jenncure said:
Thanks biochem. As usual, your response was logical and well-informed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.