orchid bark

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
hey ive been looking into orchid bark the only product i can find is a mixture of fir bark hardwood charcoal and sponge rock is this ok thanks john

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, I wouldn't use that. Sponge rock is also called perlite. It is good for holding water, but because of its color, it might be taken as something to nibble on. Here's a list of things I will use:

cypress mulch
orchid bark (not mixed with anything)
clean potting soil with no additives
dirt dug from the back yard from a spot not recently dug in
Bed-A-Beast
coconut bark

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
No, I wouldn't use that. Sponge rock is also called perlite. It is good for holding water, but because of its color, it might be taken as something to nibble on. Here's a list of things I will use:

cypress mulch
orchid bark (not mixed with anything)
clean potting soil with no additives
dirt dug from the back yard from a spot not recently dug in
Bed-A-Beast
coconut bark

thanks for the reply just so you know if you search orchid bark on home depot what comes up is a mixture in 8qt size i went too check it out because in a previous thread someone posted a link too this product and was told it was ok homedepot is tricky the will show you what they want you too buy they do sell plain orchid bark in 4qt size its next too the mixture but no listing on their site thanks again john

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
squamata said:
thanks for the reply just so you know if you search orchid bark on home depot what comes up is a mixture in 8qt size i went too check it out because in a previous thread someone posted a link too this product and was told it was ok homedepot is tricky the will show you what they want you too buy they do sell plain orchid bark in 4qt size its next too the mixture but no listing on their site thanks again john

Home Depots and other places like them are tricky. I think it varies by location as to what they sell.

I know in my area, all the Home Depots and Lowes had a cypress mulch blend (which had things in it we can't use). But was told either further north or out of state might carry pure cypress mulch.

Just be careful to read the bag and call the number on it if you have questions. I called them and am thankful I did.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If there's an Orchard Supply Hardware in your town, they carry Wonder Bark brand orchid bark. Its the pure stuff with no additives. It comes in a large bag and its about $10 a bag.

Yes, what Rob said, "Just be careful and read the bag."

Status
Not open for further replies.