Optimum temperature ranges for Sulcata hatchlings

Jess53

5 Year Member
:tort: Hi Everyone! I tried to search the FAQs on site and had no luck, or maybe I just don't get how to use them. Anyway, I was wondering what the optimum temperature ranges for Sulcata Tortoises are and also what the lowest and highest they can tolerate. I don't want to hurt my Yertle, a three month old Sulcata!
Thanks!

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Lowest : 80 dont go lower
Highest : probably about 100 in his basking spot

Jess53 said:
:tort: Hi Everyone! I tried to search the FAQs on site and had no luck, or maybe I just don't get how to use them. Anyway, I was wondering what the optimum temperature ranges for Sulcata Tortoises are and also what the lowest and highest they can tolerate. I don't want to hurt my Yertle, a three month old Sulcata!
Thanks!

I've got a 3 month old too :p :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
A basic answer,
100F basking spot
90s warm end
80s cool end
80F night temps
80% humidity throughout
90%+ humidity in a humid hide

For more understanding about these numbers read the thread titled The End Of Pyramiding. Also read the sulcata care sheet at the top of the Sulcata section.
Hope this helps :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jess53 said:
...and also what the lowest and highest they can tolerate.

This portion of your question scares me. I have personally seen adult sulcatas sleep outside with temps of 29 F. I would not recommend this. Although this tortoise survived, I would certainly not call this "optimal" or even "satisfactory". As far as highs, if they have adequate shade, dense cover, or an underground shelter they will do just fine with outside temps of 110+. Thousands of them do this in AZ every year. Personally I don't leave my babies out once temps start climbing above 95. My adults live outside, but they have shade, drinking water, mud wallows and sprinklers when temps start to climb.

Heather listed the ideal temps to strive for.

Jess53

5 Year Member
Thanks Everyone! I live in southwestern AZ, and my hatchling only gets to go out to play right now; but I had read that 80 was their minimum and with these 70 degree days wasn't sure if he could go out or now. In the summer I don't leave him outside past ninety; he doesn't need to be a roasted tortoise, either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I sun my babies in the winter when temps are as low as 60. I do it in large black tubs and I watch the temps closely. Its a fine way to get them 30-40 minutes of sun on a cool winter day. The surface of my tubs will get up to 90-95 degrees in the noon sun, but I make sure there is shade too. Doing this allows me the luxury of not having to use any indoor UV ever.