Opo digging first burrow.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hi all, Opo is almost 4 yrs old and 50lbs. He dug his first burrow under the shed. It's not to far under the shed. So I am not to worried reaching him in necessary. Tried feeble attempts to fill and block, but Opo won.
Looks like he will sleep there tonight.
Low temp will be 70°,I am not worried about that temp for one night.
Any suggestions what I should do?
Fill with stones or let it be?
Do I need worries for long term 70° nights? @Tom
20210430_192701.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt Rose would be able to manhandle him out of there when it gets deeper. Fill it up and block off the area. Then make the necessary upgrades to his shelter so it provides warmth in cool weather and coolness in hot weather. it should be located in deep shade

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, Opo is almost 4 yrs old and 50lbs. He dug his first burrow under the shed. It's not to far under the shed. So I am not to worried reaching him in necessary. Tried feeble attempts to fill and block, but Opo won.
Looks like he will sleep there tonight.
Low temp will be 70°,I am not worried about that temp for one night.
Any suggestions what I should do?
Fill with stones or let it be?
Do I need worries for long term 70° nights? @Tom
View attachment 324301
I'd get him out of there ASAP, fill in the hole and pack it down, and then cover the area with a sheet of plywood for a while. You don't want a burrow under a structure of any kind.

I'd let him burrow in summer in a more suitable area. You can sometimes start a burrow in the place where you want it and let them take over. I think 70 degree nights are fine as long as days are 80+ and sunny every day, which it is there now. Its so consistently warm where you are, that I think the low night temp will be fine.

In fall, I'd bock off the burrow and make him sleep in the temperature controlled night house. I was in South Florida last month and there was one night that dropped to 49. I know its very rare, but it does happen in your "winters" and I wouldn't want my tortoise outside at night on one of those nights. Not a sulcata anyway.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'd get him out of there ASAP, fill in the hole and pack it down, and then cover the area with a sheet of plywood for a while. You don't want a burrow under a structure of any kind.

I'd let him burrow in summer in a more suitable area. You can sometimes start a burrow in the place where you want it and let them take over. I think 70 degree nights are fine as long as days are 80+ and sunny every day, which it is there now. Its so consistently warm where you are, that I think the low night temp will be fine.

In fall, I'd bock off the burrow and make him sleep in the temperature controlled night house. I was in South Florida last month and there was one night that dropped to 49. I know its very rare, but it does happen in your "winters" and I wouldn't want my tortoise outside at night on one of those nights. Not a sulcata anyway.
Thanks Tom, I have been checking on him periodically tonight.(critters)I will block off tomorrow. I have seen homemade burrows with a little digging and some cinder blocks with a roof.
Thank you so much for the advice.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I doubt Rose would be able to manhandle him out of there when it gets deeper. Fill it up and block off the area. Then make the necessary upgrades to his shelter so it provides warmth in cool weather and coolness in hot weather. it should be located in deep shade
In the middle of a new enclosure for Opo.
Took some time off of finishing to prepare for the fishing trip. Two nights ago at 7PM he was still digging. So I carefully put water in and he came right out. I am sure in the morning, he will be out basking. I will fill with stones and block off the back of the shed on both sides to the back fence. Stopping him from going behind the shed..
Thanks so much for the reply.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Ray. Once you get the burrow filled in, maybe you can get some 12 x 12 stone pavers delivered, and you can place them along the perimeter of the shed.

It’s always something!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I have been checking on him periodically tonight.(critters)I will block off tomorrow. I have seen homemade burrows with a little digging and some cinder blocks with a roof.
Thank you so much for the advice.
I don't think you need to use cinderblocks or a roof. Just start a hole about 18-24 inches deep at an angle.. Once they stumble across it, they will usually start digging there, if they are in the mood to dig.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray. Once you get the burrow filled in, maybe you can get some 12 x 12 stone pavers delivered, and you can place them along the perimeter of the shed.

It’s always something!
That sounds like a good idea. I was going to make a paver platform off the side of the shed for my hydroponics project. I can just get some more for a perimeter around the other sides.
Rose filled in the burrow this morning and put plywood down.
Opo is not happy.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I don't think you need to use cinderblocks or a roof. Just start a hole about 18-24 inches deep at an angle.. Once they stumble across it, they will usually start digging there, if they are in the mood to dig.
Ok great, thanks Tom