Opinions Wanted: help me find the perfect tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyla

5 Year Member
I know of general tortoise care and I am prepared to meet the needs of just about any species and would quite enjoy it as Im sure most of you do :)

But heres what my specific needs are;

I would like a curious type. One thats more likely to have a more outgoing personality.

Im looking at a full size of around a foot or so (maybe larger) or weight of around 40 pounds.

Because of my location - Connecticut - it would be easier to care for one that can tolerate or lives in humid conditions. Id like to be able to safely take him/her outside for spells in the grass and I know some desert types cant handle any moisture at all.

Id like to know species, general care, and difference between male and female (size and personality difference if any)

Im a sponge and want to learn as much as possible. Ive done a lot of reading online but theres so much Id like to narrow my prospects down a bit and be able to focus on just a few. Any input is very much appreciated!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Skyla said:
I know some desert types cant handle any moisture at all.

This is a very common misconception, and is very very far from the truth. Even "desert" species need to be kept hydrated in order to prevent pyramiding. They spend the hottest, driest parts of the day underground in humid burrows. Here is some reading for you -

Tortoise Basics for New Owners

The End of Pyramiding (you don't have to read the whole thing, but you will see the correlation between hydration and smooth tortoises.)

My suggestion is a Burmese Brown Mountain tortoise, Manouria emys emys. They get around the size you suggested, and like cooler temperatures.

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/burmmtortoise.htm

Skyla

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Skyla said:
I know some desert types cant handle any moisture at all.

This is a very common misconception, and is very very far from the truth. Even "desert" species need to be kept hydrated in order to prevent pyramiding. They spend the hottest, driest parts of the day underground in humid burrows. Here is some reading for you -

Tortoise Basics for New Owners

The End of Pyramiding (you don't have to read the whole thing, but you will see the correlation between hydration and smooth tortoises.)

My suggestion is a Burmese Brown Mountain tortoise, Manouria emys emys. They get around the size you suggested, and like cooler temperatures.

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/burmmtortoise.htm

The browns are smaller than the blacks correct? Ive dont some reading on the blacks and love the personalities they have :) If the brown is anything like their cousin Im definitely putting them high on the list of possibilities!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, they are about half the size of the Blacks, otherwise personality and care is identical.

There are some CB babies for sale on Kingsnake.com right now for $175 I think, which is a really good price.

Skyla

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Yes, they are about half the size of the Blacks, otherwise personality and care is identical.

There are some CB babies for sale on Kingsnake.com right now for $175 I think, which is a really good price.

Wow that IS a deal! Well, Im waiting on my tax returns. This is my refund present for my past year of hard work lol

That, and Im planning on going to a reptile expo next month. Maybe I wont have to wait for one to be sent to me :)

firework

5 Year Member
"some desert types cant handle any moisture at all"? I think this is the misunderstanding that causes many badly deformed torts.

Connecticut is quite cold in the winter, if you want a large one, are you ready to hibernate it through the winter?

Skyla

5 Year Member
firework said:
"some desert types cant handle any moisture at all"? I think this is the misunderstanding that causes many badly deformed torts.

Connecticut is quite cold in the winter, if you want a large one, are you ready to hibernate it through the winter?

This is exactly why Im here. I want to learn! :) And I should have worded it better but I was mainly refering to the humidity intolerance though I could still be misinformed.

The species that have caught my eye dont hibernate to my knowledge. Everything Ive read has said this anyway. And personally, if the tortoise is around 12 - 18 inches, I dont consider that to be very big. A sulcata or leopard on the other hand...now THATS too big for me. At least right now lol

Most pets that intrigue me are of the sort that get rather large. I have a half grown iguana who I cant wait to be full grown. I have a number of fish that will eventually be between 8 to 18 inches depending on the species. I have a number of tanks already ready and waiting in the garage for them when the time comes...

I have an entire room for my iguana and I figured if I keep the room relitively humid and warm it would be best to have a non desert type to share the space (separate enclosures to be sure).

Im gaining as much knowledge as I can now BEFORE I get my future tortoise as I should, no? :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Well, not a Sulcata, Galop. or Aldab, just too big. We have had many redfoots and they have been great!
dnodtw.jpg

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Redfoots are great.

Never worked with Manouria, but if you are a TSA member I have seen Manouria Emys hatchlings for $50 in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.