Choosing a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mues155

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
Hello everyone!
Im doing my research and will be planning on bringing a tortoise into my home maybe 6 months from now. This gives me plenty of time to find the right one for me.
I really want a tortoise with a great personality. I want him to be friendly and adventurous. I want to be able to let him wander the house without being timid. I would like one that recognizes me for food.
And I want a tortoise that stays 30-40 lbs or less.

So far Ive read that Hermann's pretty much fit my want out of a tortoise. Down to their size and great personality.
Does anyone have a different species I should check out that is similar to my description? I would greatly appreciate the help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Adriane:

Any tortoise that you get will respond to you, the food goddess, because of the attention you give it. No attention - shy tortoise. Lots of attention - people oriented tortoise. We all have our likes and dislikes. Really, its up to you to decide what tortoise fits in with your lifestyle.

In my opinion, a tortoise isn't a pet like a cat or a dog. To me, a tortoise is one that you set up in a natural-looking habitat and just enjoy watching it, rather than interacting with it. I never allow my tortoises to walk around on the floor. There is too much on the floor they could get into trouble with. And its too cold on the floor. In my opinion, a tortoise needs his own habitat so that he has his space and knows his boundaries. I also feel that a tortoise's main habitat should be outside, with his secondary habitat indoors for inclement weather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto Yvonne. Right on the money, as usual.

I think a hermanns tortoise will be a great choice for you.

What part of the world do you live in? My climate is usually a big factor in choosing with species I like to work with.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I do agree with Yvonne, all great points.

even a Russian may be the way to go..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree that where you live in the world matters greatly...especially giving that you have a desire to integrate that tortoise into your every day living....your climate should be important...if you are a desert dweller then a tortoise that thrives in that environment would be more readily able to run about more frequently and be fine versus a tortoise that would not like the dry constant heat...you know?

As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE all of my CDTs to run in and out of my home and lounge about as they please....my household like many others is occupied by more than myself...I have a son who is in and out all the doors in the house...I have two dogs that reside here that would prove a pest to them at best...there are the electrical cords to get tangled in ...there are pieces of furniture to get stuck under and alot of other human habitat objects that make that not so good..you know?

However..they love being outdoors and they have their yards just for them....and in the winter they catch up on their beauty sleep....so all works out great.

The two little RFs are a needy group...lol...all that humidity and junk...jk. They do require a bit of modifications to also thrive so they would not thrive as a house tortoise...therefore they also have their own enclosures and will also have an outdoor yard set up a bit more to their needs when the warmer weather returns....

So good luck on your tortoise search adventure...maybe volunteer yourself at some local rescues and see if you can further expose yourself to a variety of tortoise AND turtles and you will have a better handle on what sparks your interest...:D

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I live in north dakota. We have wonderful summers for a tortoise, sadly the season is kind of short lived. I have an enclosure that is made from plywood one 3 sides with a plexiglass front. It measures 5 ft by 4 ft. I would think a tortoise could be happy in there until I upgrade. I plan on doing organic soil and sand mix and plant seeds for natural grazing and foraging. I'm really quite excited.
Can a tortoise be happy in an enclosure like that for 9 months out of the year?
I want to make sure he will be happy.

I do realize a tortoise is not a dog but the tortoises I've spent time with are always so alert and curious and have such a sense of adventure. I know I would enjoy bringing one into my life and home.
I thank you guys for the input.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes...that is a good size for the appropriate tortoise :D and I think if you keep in mind what the largest your tort will get then that can also play into which species you finally select....:D

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I read that RFs are not the best beginner tortoise because of their need for more humidity and their need for micro environments.
I would also consider a RF if their personalities fit.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
I live in East Grand Forks! I would go with a Russian or a Hermanns or a Pancake!!! They all don't get to big and are all personable. I have russians and they are active all the time scratch and scratch and scratch till they get food and are fun to watch =). Redfoots are totally out of the question living up here :( it's so dang hard to keep them humid and give them the space they need. If you really want a tortoise there is the most beautiful Russian Tortoise at petco in grand forks I would buy him but my Boris is such a bully! Any questions on raising a Tortoise in the Great white north just PM me!!!

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
Thats awesome I live in Bismarck!
I'm really getting quite set on a hermanns I havnt really looked much into russians yet.
But yes I would agree that our weather isn't great for humidity.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Ya living up here we really have no choice but to get a Russian, Greek or Hermanns.... I think Russians are perfect in our climate. There is a lady in Dickinson who has Russian Hatchlings right now her username on here is sercinda. But I looked everywhere if you want a Hermanns add 50$ cause you will have to have it shipped to you!!!

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
Ive had reptiles shipped to me before so Im all too familar with shipping its definetly not a problem for me. This little guy will be a lifelong pet so to pay extra for shipping isnt a big deal at all.

I forget her name but I think i know who you are talking about in Dickinson. Does she run a small reptile specialty store?

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
yup thats the lady! Ive talked to her before. Small world huh?
Well I think I'm set on Hermann's but if I change my mind I would definitly get a russian from her.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im not sure where you live but I have several adult redfoots and some have more personality than others. I think every kind of tort has personality, Its just finding the one that does is the problem. My tort Bigred has alot of personality and I will never part with her. Redfoots do have different setups but adult redfoots are not hard to take care of at all. Mine get out ALOT and have a huge backyard

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I live in North Dakota...generally dry. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Not very much in between for very long.

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
. To me, a tortoise is one that you set up in a natural-looking habitat and just enjoy watching it, rather than interacting with it. I never allow my tortoises to walk around on the floor. There is too much on the floor they could get into trouble with. And its too cold on the floor. In my opinion, a tortoise needs his own habitat so that he has his space and knows his boundaries.

I dont know.......I agree they are not cuddly, and you dont hold them as much as mammmals. But we do enjoy talking to ours, and they seem curious and interested to hear our voices, and come over when they hear/see us.
Also, we keep them MAINLY in their enclosure, of course, BUT we sometimes give them an hour or so on some days when we are home, to walk around the house. I've seen no harm. Theres a few places they always like to walk to. I figure its good exercise in the winter months when we have them in all the time. Of course, they need the temp and light conditions of their enclosure most of the time, but I really feel they benefit from getting an hours walk around a few times a week. Exercise and something interesting and different to explore.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
you could get a red foot they get to be 20lbs abd are very nice mine know me and come to me

Status
Not open for further replies.